HUNTER, MATTHEW

(fl. 1780-1829)

Painter in Miniature and Crayons

From A Dictionary of Irish Artists 1913

He became a pupil in the Dublin Society's Schools in 1779, and won medals in 1780, 1781 and 1783. He practised in Dublin as a portrait painter in miniature and in crayons. In 1791 he was living at 42 Capel Street, corner of Mary Street, and advertised that he painted portraits or miniatures at two guineas each. From 1804 to 1818 he resided in North William Street, and was described as a "Crayon Painter"; and from 1820 to 1829, at 45 Henry Street. After that no further mention of him occurs. A portrait by him of "William Todd Jones" was engraved in stipple by A. McDonald and dedicated by the painter to the Catholic Committee.

« Mary Anne Hunter | Contents and Search | Robert Hunter »

Abbreviations


Library Ireland Facebook