MULVANY, JOHN GEORGE, R.H.A.

(b. about 1766, d. 1838)

Landscape and Figure Painter

From A Dictionary of Irish Artists 1913

John George Mulvany, R.H.A. Picture, by George F. Mulvany; in possession of Miss A. Mulvany, Dusseldorff.

Elder brother of Thomas James Mulvany (q.v.); born in Dublin about 1766. He studied in the Schools of the Dublin Society where he won medals in 1782 and 1786. He first appears as an exhibitor in 1810, when, from 4 Paradise Row, he contributed a landscape to the exhibition of the Society of Artists in Hawkins Street; and he continued to send works, both landscapes and subject pictures, to the various exhibitions down to 1814, and again in 1819 and 1821. In 1813 he moved to North Richmond Street, Rutland Square, where he resided for the rest of his life. He was much employed as a teacher in schools. On the foundation of the Royal Hibernian Academy in 1823 he was chosen one of its original Members, and from its first exhibition in 1826 until 1837 he was a regular contributor, chiefly of landscapes, with occasional subject pieces. He was more successful in small cottage interiors; but his work was feeble in touch and gaudy in colour. He died in his house in Richmond Street, after a lingering illness, on 28th September, 1838, much regretted by his friends as an amiable and honourable man. He was buried at St. Paul's Church, North King Street, in the same grave as that of his wife Mary, who predeceased him on 23rd June, 1828. Their tomb bears an inscription to their memory.

« George Francis Mulvany | Contents and Search | Thomas James Mulvany »

Abbreviations


Library Ireland Facebook