DUFF, JOHN

(fl. 1770-1787)

Engraver

From A Dictionary of Irish Artists 1913

A Dublin engraver, much esteemed in his time, principally employed in magazine and book illustrations.

He was deaf and dumb from his childhood. In 1776 he was living at 13 Smock Alley; from 1777 to 1782 at 44 Essex Street, and afterwards at 17 Exchange Street. He contributed a number of etchings, poor in execution, to Exshaw's "London Magazine" between 1779 and 1781. Two plates by him, "Abbey of St. John's, Kilkenny," and "Round Tower, Kildare," are in Campbell's "Philosophical Survey of the South of Ireland," and two plates after W. Beauford are in Ledwich's "Irishtown and Kilkenny." The following book-plates by him are known: "Sisson Darling," "Captain John Crofton," "William Hugh Ferrar," "Ferrier," "Edward Fitzgerald," "Joseph Cooper Walker," and a Trinity College Prize plate, 1770. Duff was fond of scientific studies, especially of electricity.

He died suddenly from a fit of apoplexy while riding from Dublin to Ballispellane, on 22nd July, 1787. His business as an engraver was continued by Catherine Duff in Exchange Street until 1789, and afterwards by Charles Henecy (q.v.).

« Susan O'Rourke Drury | Contents and Search | Patrick Vincent Duffy »

Abbreviations


Library Ireland Facebook