HARWOOD, JAMES

(b. 1816, d. 1872)

Portrait Painter

From A Dictionary of Irish Artists 1913

Was born in 1816 at Clonmel, son of Edward Harwood, a house-painter in that town. He appears to have studied in early life in Italy; but was following his profession in Clonmel in 1836. He was in London in 1839, and in Bath from 1841 to 1844. For the rest of his life he resided in London, but visited Ireland occasionally; he was in Clonmel in 1852, and in Dublin at 33 North Cumberland Street, from 1848 to 1850. Harwood exhibited in the Royal Academy almost every year between 1840 and 1871, mostly portraits, with an occasional subject piece, and in 1854, a "View of Killiney Bay from Dalkey." He contributed to the Royal Hibernian Academy in 1836, 1842, 1844, 1847, 1848, 1850 to 1853, and in 1856 and 1858. Amongst his works there exhibited were "Children feeding birds," purchased by the Royal Irish Art Union in 1845; "Jeremiah in Captivity," 1844; "Nathan reproving David," purchased by the R.I. Art Union, in 1845; "The Farewell," 1852; "Francesca and Paolo of Rimini," 1853; and "Throwing the Bouquet," 1856. In the National Gallery of Ireland are two portraits by him: "Field-Marshal Hugh Viscount Gough," a large full-length, which was exhibited in the Royal Hibernian Academy in 1851, and in the Dublin Exhibition of 1853, and was presented to the Gallery in 1889 by George, second Viscount Gough; and "Samuel Lover," signed and dated 1856. This portrait was painted for Joseph White, of Irishtown House, Clonmel, and was exhibited in the Dublin exhibition of 1872 by Mrs. White, from whom it was purchased for the Gallery. A portrait of "R. M, Duckett," and one of "Mrs. William Hemphill," were in the Royal Hibernian Academy in 1851. At Marlfield, Co. Tipperary, is a portrait of the Hon. Frances Prittie, wife of John Bagwell. James Harwood died at 22 Fitzroy Street, London, on 6th April, 1872.

« Edward Harwood | Contents and Search | Robert Harwood »

Abbreviations


Library Ireland Facebook