FARRELL, JAMES, R.H.A.

(b. 1821, d. 1891)

Sculptor

From A Dictionary of Irish Artists 1913

James Farrell, R.H.A. Photograph

Was born in 1821, the eldest son of Terence Farrell (q.v.). He learned his art in his father's studio, and in 1836 began to exhibit in the Royal Hibernian Academy, sending two busts. His first important work done on his own account was "The Pet Dove's Return," which was awarded the first premium of fifteen pounds by the Royal Irish Art Union in 1845, and was afterwards executed in marble and exhibited in the Royal Academy in 1847 and in the Royal Hibernian Academy in 1848. This work and the "Hunter Reposing" (R.H.A., 1852) were in the Dublin Exhibition of 1853, as well as a statue of "Our Lady of Refuge," which was purchased by the Rev. Matthew Collier for Rathmines Roman Catholic Church where it now stands over the pediment; a cast of his "Calypso" is in the National Museum, Kildare Street. During his long career as a sculptor he executed a variety of works for public institutions as well as private commissions, chiefly religious statues, altars and monuments. His "Annunciation" is in the Church of St. Francis Xavier, Gardiner Street; "Christ in the Temple," in Rathmines Church, and "The Sacred Heart," in Sion Hill Convent, Blackrock. He was elected an Associate of the Royal Hibernian Academy on 17th April, 1880, and a Member on 18th November, 1882. He died at his residence No. 30 Mountjoy Square on 20th November, 1891, and was buried on the 23rd in the vaults of Westland Row Church, his funeral being attended by the President and nine members of the Academy.

« Francis Farrell | Contents and Search | John Farrell »

Abbreviations


Library Ireland Facebook