Tipperary Churches, Convent, Christian Brothers - Book of County Tipperary, 1889

About “The Book of County Tipperary,” 1889

George Henry Bassett produced 7 Irish county directories in the 1880s: Antrim, Armagh, Down, Kilkenny, Louth, Tipperary and Wexford. Each provides useful history of the respective counties as well as lists of office holders, farmers, traders, and other residents of the individual cities, towns and villages.

Read more »

The directories are naturally an invaluable resource for those tracing family history. The Book of County Tipperary is the first of these to be made available on libraryireland.com, with its own search page. However, there are a few points to bear in mind.

  1. This online version is designed primarily as a genealogical research tool and therefore the numerous advertisements in the original book, many full page, and quite a few illustrated, have been excluded.
  2. The text has been proofed with due care, but with large bodies of text typographical errors are inevitably bound to occur.
  3. Be aware that there were often inconsistencies in spelling surnames in the 19th century and also that many forenames are abbreviated in Bassett’s directories.

With respect to the last point, surnames which today begin with the “Mc” prefix, for example, were often formerly spelt as “M‘,”. For a list of some of the more common forename abbreviations used in the directory, see Forename Abbreviations.

To enjoy the rich variety of advertisements, confirm accuracy of the entries, or have a printed record of a family member, obtain an original or facsimile copy of The Book of County Tipperary.

Show less

The Catholic Church, in St. Michael-street, is a large edifice of tooled limestone, with tower and spire. It is in the Gothic style of architecture, and is enclosed from the street by an ornamental railing. The interior of the church is spacious, with nave and aisles, divided by arches, supported on sandstone pillars. In 1889 extensive renovations were effected, under the auspices of the Very Rev. Canon Cahill, P.P., V.G. These included the decoration of the nave, aisles and of the chancel, repairs to the organ, and new seatings in pitch-pine. An organ gallery, with bathstone railing, and a beautiful reredos of Caen stone, the latter costing about £1,000, are recent additions. The high altar, presented by a lady parishioner, cost about £600. St. Joseph’s altar was given by Mrs. Ellen Bradshaw to commemorate her mother, Mrs. Margaret Keating Barry, 1840, and her husband, Richard Bradshaw, sen., 1865, and the Very Rev. Dr. Marnane, P.P., V.G., 1827. There are five handsome memorial windows, stained glass: Very Rev. Monsignor Howley, 1884; Patrick Shanahan, 1885, and his wife, Mary, 1887.

The Protestant Church is a cruciform structure, with pinnacled gables, high pinnacled battlemented tower and graceful spire. It was built in 1830, but the grave-yard in which it stands is an old one, well planted, and used for burial purposes by all denominations. The interior of the church is fitted throughout in good taste. Recent improvements embrace seatings in pitch-pine, artistic gas fixtures, etc. The pulpit, of Caen stone and Irish marbles, very handsome, was presented by Col. Mansergh, 1877, in memory of his father, Richard M. S. Mansergh, who died in 1876. A lectern, laquered brass, and a bible, commemorate Ven. Robert Bell, D.D., Archdeacon of Cashel, 17 years rector of Tipperary. Died in 1883, There were 46 subscribers to the fund, out of which the cost was defrayed. The mural memorials bear the names of: Alicia, wife of John Massy, Kingswell, Charles Hy. Massy, of the 77th Regt., his eldest son, died in the Crimean War, 1854, and his son, John Massy, 1864; Agnes, wife of Rev. W. B. Lindesay, LL.D., 1878; Rev. Richard Maule verer, 31 years rector of the parish, 1886.

The Presbyterian Church, under the jurisdiction of the General Assembly, is situated at the corner of James and John-streets. It is a plain gabled edifice, dating from 1844. The congregation consists of 25 families. At the period of the Cromwellian settlement of the district, 1651, the congregation was first established, and was under the English Presbyterian authority. The meeting house was then in Meeting-street, changed to Davis-street by the Town Commissioners. For half a century previous to 1844 there had been no congregation. The manse is at Bohercrow.

Rosanna Convent of Mercy, at the head of St. Michael-street, is one of the finest of the order in the county. The site was originally occupied by a private residence, with beautifully laid-out grounds. In 1866 the interest in it was purchased from Major Henry W. Massy, by the late Mr. Richard Bradshaw, sol., and was re-sold to the Sisters of Mercy by his widow. A handsome Gothic chapel was built in 1886, at a cost of £4,000. In 1882 a grant was received from the Government for an industrial school, 64 females. A National School, with an average attendance of about 500, is also taught. The poorer children are partly fed and clothed. The sisters came to Tipperary from St. Mary’s, Limerick, in 1864.

The schools of the Christian Brothers arc at Murgasty Hill. The buildings were erected for a fever hospital in 1836, and were occupied by the Sisters of Mercy from 1864 until 1866. The Christian Brothers entered into possession soon afterward. There are three schools. Rev. Bro. D’Alton was superior in 1889.

Book of County Tipperary

Find a copy of Bassett’s Book of County Tipperary