Tipperary Grammar School, Loan Funds, Clubs, &c - Book of County Tipperary, 1889

About “The Book of County Tipperary,” 1889

George Henry Bassett produced 7 Irish county directories in the 1880s: Antrim, Armagh, Down, Kilkenny, Louth, Tipperary and Wexford. Each provides useful history of the respective counties as well as lists of office holders, farmers, traders, and other residents of the individual cities, towns and villages.

Read more »

The directories are naturally an invaluable resource for those tracing family history. The Book of County Tipperary is the first of these to be made available on libraryireland.com, with its own search page. However, there are a few points to bear in mind.

  1. This online version is designed primarily as a genealogical research tool and therefore the numerous advertisements in the original book, many full page, and quite a few illustrated, have been excluded.
  2. The text has been proofed with due care, but with large bodies of text typographical errors are inevitably bound to occur.
  3. Be aware that there were often inconsistencies in spelling surnames in the 19th century and also that many forenames are abbreviated in Bassett’s directories.

With respect to the last point, surnames which today begin with the “Mc” prefix, for example, were often formerly spelt as “M‘,”. For a list of some of the more common forename abbreviations used in the directory, see Forename Abbreviations.

To enjoy the rich variety of advertisements, confirm accuracy of the entries, or have a printed record of a family member, obtain an original or facsimile copy of The Book of County Tipperary.

Show less

The Tipperary Grammar School was founded in 1669 by Erasmus Smith, a cavalry officer in Cromwell’s army, who left one-third of his property in the counties of Tipperary, Limerick and Kerry for the support of three classical schools (Protestant), one at Tipperary, one at Drogheda and one at Galway. The endowment of the Tipperary school provides £100 a year for the headmaster, and £100 for assistants. Attached to the school are 19 acres of land at a rent of £10 a year. Part of the grounds were formerly occupied by the Augustinian Abbey.

A branch of the Loan Fund Society has an office in Main-street. Mr. Michael O’B. D’Alton is hon. treasurer, and Mr. Michael Bowen, managing clerk.

The Tipperary Loan Office was established in 1883, with a capital of £2,500 in debentures, valued from £100 to £700 each. There is a turn over of from £8,000 to £9,000 a year. Loans from £1 to £10 are given. Repayments are made by instalments, weekly or monthly, the entire amount to be cleared off within a period of twenty weeks. Interest at the rate of 4d. in the £ is charged on weekly, and 6d. in the £ on monthly loans. Mr. John Ryan, sen., is chairman and treasurer. The company’s office is in Bridge-street. A dividend of 10 per cent. is paid to the stockholders.

The Clanwilliam Club, in Bank-place, East Main-street, was established in 1866. It is managed by a committee of seven. Mr. Richard Carroll is honorary secretary and treasurer. There are 48 members paying each an annual subscription of £2 10s. Officers of the Army and Navy are admitted without ballot at the same rate. There are billiard and reading-rooms.

The Tipperary Literary Club was established over 8 years ago, and has about 200 members paying a subscription each of 10s. a year. Dr. J. J. Dowling is president, Mr. Michael D’Alton, V.P., Mr. Denis J. Hogan, secretary, and Mr. John Millea, treasurer. A reading-room and lending library are features. The club has free rooms in the Town Hall, built in 1877 by Mr. A. H. Smith-Barry at a cost of £3,000. The hall is also used for meetings by the Town Commissioners, and for entertainments.

The Abbey View Club has its quarters in Abbey-street. It was established in August, 1888, and has about too members. The subscription 1s 2d. per week, and the entrance fee 2s. The reading-room is well stocked with the daily and weekly newspapers and periodicals. Fifty volumes of standard works were presented by friends to form the nucleus of a library. In February, 1889, the club had two billiard tables, and was about to fit up a gymnasium. Mr. William Evans is president and treasurer, Mr. Daniel J. M‘Carthy, V.P., and Mr. Edward Dwyer, secretary.

There are four clubs in connection with the Gaelic Athletic Association: Aravale Rovers, football, 40 members; Rosanna, football and hurling, 40 members; Commercial, football, 40 members; Bohercrow, football, champions of Munster, 100.

Book of County Tipperary

Find a copy of Bassett’s Book of County Tipperary