CHURCH AND CONVENT AT KENMARE

From Atlas and Cyclopedia of Ireland (1900)

« County Galway | Book Contents | County Kildare »

Description of County Kerry | O'Connell Chapel, Cahirciveen | Muckross Abbey | Brickeen Bridge, Killarney | Glena Cottage, Killarney | Derrycunnihy Cottage, Killarney | Kenmare Convent | Kerry Map

KENMARE.—Kenmare is a small but pretty town, in the ancient "Kingdom of Kerry," and is situated in the vicinity of some of the wildest and most romantic scenery in the south of Ireland. It is approached by a fine suspension bridge, the only one of note in Ireland, called Landsdowne Bridge, after the master of the estate. The town is of comparatively modern date, having been founded in 1670 by Sir William Petty, one of the most disreputable of English adventurers in Ireland, and progenitor of the Landsdowne family. During the English revolution of 1688, it was forced to capitulate to King James' army. The inhabitants, being English and Protestant, determined to embark for Bristol; but after the fall of Limerick most of them returned. The convent of St. Clare, herewith shown, has become noted of late years, especially through the work of Sister Mary Frances Clare, a convert from Protestantism, and author of works on Irish and religious subjects.

Kenmare Convent, County Kerry

Kenmare Convent

Description of County Kerry | O'Connell Chapel, Cahirciveen | Muckross Abbey | Brickeen Bridge, Killarney | Glena Cottage, Killarney | Derrycunnihy Cottage, Killarney | Kenmare Convent | Kerry Map

« County Galway | Book Contents | County Kildare »


Library Ireland Facebook