TALLERAGHT, TELLERAUGHT, or TULLYRATH, a parish, in the barony of SHELBURNE, county of WEXFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 3 miles (S.E.) from New Ross, on the road from Enniscorthy by Ballinlaw-Ferry to Waterford; containing 468 inhabitants. It is estimated to comprise about 1600 statute acres of land, chiefly under tillage; the soil is fertile, and the system of agriculture is progressively improving. There was formerly a considerable village, which, with the church, has altogether disappeared, and the site has been turned up by the plough, which is frequently obstructed by the foundations of old buildings. There is a constabulary police station within the limits of the parish. It is a rectory, in the diocese of Ferns, forming part of the union of St. Mary's, New Ross: the tithes amount to £80.

In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Cushinstown: there is a chapel at Talleraght, in which a school of about 80 children is held, under the superintendence of the parish priest. Some remains still exist of an ancient Norman castle, consisting of a lofty square tower, but nothing is now known of its early history: it is the property of H. Lambert, Esq., to whom this and the adjoining parish of Carnagh entirely belong.

Search Topographical Dictionary of Ireland »