ROSSDROIT, a parish, in the barony of BANTRY, county of WEXFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 4 miles (W. S. W.) from Enniscorthy, on the road to New Ross; containing 1976 inhabitants.

This parish and that of Templescobin, both formerly belonging to the abbey of Timolin, were by letters patent granted, in 1619, to Henry Perse, Esq., at a small annual rent. They were forfeited to the Crown by Peirse Butler, Esq., in 1641, and in 1667 were incorporated and assigned, under the Act of Settlement, to the incumbent of Rossdroit, otherwise Templescobin, at the annual rent of £1. 2. 7½.

In 1806 the townlands of Clohass and Scobin were separated from Rossdroit, and constituted a distinct parish, under the name of Templescobin, which see.

The parish, which is supposed to derive part of its name from a bridge over a small stream falling into the river Boro near the village of Clough, comprises 7999 statute acres, chiefly under tillage; the soil is light, and the state of agriculture is improving, but limestone for manure is not to be obtained nearer than Enniscorthy.

At Ballyhighland, on the border of the parish, is a lead mine, which was worked about 20 years since; it has been lately re-opened by a mining company and is now in full work.

Fairs for cattle are held at Moneyhore on the 25th of Feb., March, and May, on Oct. 2nd, and Dec. 7th; four of these are held by patent, for which a fee of 15s. per ann. is paid to the Crown by Mr. William Condon, of Dublin.

The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Ferns, and in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £590. 15. 9. per ann., and there is a glebe of 20 acres subject to a rent of 21s. (Irish currency) per acre.

The glebe-house, the residence of the Rev. W. Hinson, is a substantial and commodious mansion, towards the erection of which the late Board of First Fruits, in 1814, granted £100 as a gift, and £675 as a loan.

The church is a neat edifice, built in 1795 when the same Board contributed a gift of £500. The original tower being in a dangerous state was taken down a few years since, and a new tower erected at the expense of the parishioners; the granite quoins used in its construction were brought from the ruins of the Franciscan friary at Enniscorthy.

The church has been lately repaired, the Ecclesiastical commissioners having granted £223 for that purpose. Adjoining it are the ruins of the ancient edifice.

In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Davidstown, comprising also the parishes of St. John, Templescobin, and that part of Clonmore called the “Quarter of Clough,” and containing the chapels of Davidstown and Courtnacuddy, both in this parish: the former is a neat building.

At Ballybawn is a school under the trustees of Erasmus Smith's charity, who allow the master £20 per ann., with a contingent gratuity of £10: the school-house is built on a piece of ground presented by the late S. Ram, Esq., containing two acres, of which the master has the use rent-free: there is also a school adjoining the chapel at Courtnacuddy. In these schools about 70 children are educated; and there two private schools, in which are about 90 children.

Search Topographical Dictionary of Ireland »