KILTARTAN

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

KILTARTAN, a parish, in the barony of KILTARTAN, county of GALWAY, and province of CONNAUGHT; containing, with part of the post-town of Gort, and part of the village of Clonnearl, 2930 inhabitants. It comprises 5529 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. Here is very little bog and some rocky waste land; limestone is abundant, bears a high polish, and is obtained in very large square slabs. At Ballylee is a quarry of fine black marble.

The principal seats are Coole, the handsome residence of R. Gregory, Esq.; Ballymantane, of E. Lombard Hunt, Esq.; Raheen, of J. O'Hara, Esq.; Ballylee Castle, of P. Carrig, Esq.; Roseville, of J. Heuston, Esq.; and Ballintown, of Captain Lahiffe. It is a rectory, in the diocese of Kilmacduagh. forming part of the union and corps of the deanery of Kilmacduagh; the tithes amount to £175. 7. 8 ½.

The R. C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church, and has a stone chapel built in 1837, for which R. Gregory, Esq., gave £60. About 150 children are educated in three private schools. There are the ruins of a large castle at Castletown, in good preservation. Kiltartan gives the title of baron to Viscount Gort.

« Kiltalla | Index | Kilteal »

Search Topographical Dictionary of Ireland »