KILSHANIG, or KILSHANICK, a parish, in the barony of DUHALLOW, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 3 miles (S. W.) from Mallow, on the road to Millstreet; containing 8057 inhabitants. This parish, which is also called Glanntane, is situated on the southern side of the river Blackwater, and is partly bounded on the east by the Clydagh, and on the south-west by the Bogra moors. It comprises 26,229 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £10,762 per ann.; about two-fifths are under tillage, and the remainder, with the exception of about 1290 acres of common, and 260 of woodland, is chiefly mountain pasture and bog. The system of agriculture is gradually improving; limestone is found on the lands of Newberry, but not in sufficient quantity for the supply of this extensive parish, the deficiency being made up from quarries near Mallow.

The principal seats are Dromore House, that of A. Newman, Esq , occupying a commanding situation in an extensive and richly wooded demesne, and forming a conspicuous feature in the landscape; Danesfort, of E. Lombard, Esq.; Millfort, of G. Foote, Esq.; Woodfort, of T. Ware, Esq., in the grounds of which is a thickly planted conical hill with a turret on its summit, commanding a fine view of the rivers Blackwater and Clydagh, the town of Mallow, and the numerous seats in the vicinity; Clydagh, of the Rev. M. Becher; Clydaghville, of Mrs. Sankey; Lombardstown, of T. Bolster, Esq.; Allworth, of James Hunt, Esq.; Upper Dromore, of the Rev. B. Williamson; Bettesborough, of — Magner, Esq.; and Newberry House, of Mrs. Newman. At Millfort, Lombardstown, and Gortroe are some small flour-mills. A court for the manor of Newberry is occasionally held at Glauntane, for the recovery of debts not exceeding 40s. late currency; and there is also a constabulary police station.

The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Cloyne, and in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £738. 9. 2 ¾., and the glebe comprises about 4 ¼ acres. The church is a plain neat edifice with a square tower, originally surmounted by a spire, which was taken down in 1815.

The R. C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church: the chapel of Glauntane was rebuilt in 1821, and is situated in a picturesque glen; there is also a chapel at Kilpadder, in a dilapidated state, which is about to be rebuilt. There are places of worship for Wesleyan Methodists and Independents. About 120 children are taught in three public schools, of which one was founded and endowed with 4 acres of land by the Misses Lombard, and is supported by subscription, aided by an annual donation from the rector; another was built by the late, and aided with £10 per annum and school requisites by the present, Mr. Newman, and an annual donation from the Rev. Mr. Becher; the third is held in the Methodist chapel, and supported by subscription. There are also ten private schools, in which are about 830 children, and three Sunday schools.

The late Mrs. Newman bequeathed £200 late currency, the interest to be divided annually between ten poor men and ten widows, to enable them to provide a dinner on Christmas-day. The late Rev. H. Newman also bequeathed £100 for distribution annually among the poor. The extensive remains of the castle of Dromineen, the ancient residence of the O'Callaghans, occupy a bold and romantic situation on the southern bank of the Black-water, and command an extensive view of the surrounding country, in which Mount Hilary, the property of Lord Lismore, recently planted by Captain Townsend, and on which are the remains of an ancient building called Money's Castle, forms a conspicuous and interesting object.

Search Topographical Dictionary of Ireland »