KILSALLAGHAN

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

KILSALLAGHAN, a parish, in the barony of CASTLEKNOCK, county of DUBLIN, and province of LEINSTER, 8 miles (N.) from Dublin, on the old mail road to Drogheda; containing 78 inhabitants. This parish, anciently called Kilsaughan, is bounded on the north by a small stream, called the Fieldstown river, which falls into the sea a little to the north of the town of Swords. It comprises about 2595 statute acres, of which about 120 are common, 1134 arable, and the remainder meadow and pasture: the system of agriculture is improving and tillage increasing; the chief and almost the only manure is a rich black marl, which is plentiful, and building stone of good quality is found in the parish. There are several good houses, of which the principal are the residence of — Smith, Esq., on the grounds of which are the ruins of Kilsallaghan castle, forming a conspicuous feature for many miles round: New Barn, of J. Segrave, Esq., where is a rath or moat; and Dunmickary, of J. T. Armstrong, Esq., near which is a rath surrounded by a deep ditch. Fairs for horses, cattle, and pigs, are held on Ascension-day, and Sept. 8th; and on the grounds of New Barn is a constabulary police station.

The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Dublin, the rectory appropriate to the incumbent for the time being, provided he be resident, at a reserved rent of £10. 7. to the Crown; and the vicarage united to that of Chapelmidway, and in the patronage of the Crown. The tithes, including those of Chapelmidway, amount to £170. The glebe-house was built in 1748, by a gift of £173 from the late Board of First Fruits; the glebe comprises 32 acres of well-cultivated land. The church, rebuilt in 1812, by a loan of £768 from the same Board, is a neat small edifice.

In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union of Rollestown. About 120 children are taught in two public schools, of which one is supported by subscription, and the other under the New Board of Education.

« Kilrush (Wexford) | Index | Kilsaran »

Search Topographical Dictionary of Ireland »