KILNEGARRUFF, or KILNEGARIFF, a parish, partly in the barony of OWNEY and ARRA, county of TIPPERARY, and partly in the barony of CLANWILLIAM, county of LIMERICK, but chiefly in the county of the city of LIMERICK, in the province of MUNSTER, 2 miles (S. E. by S.) from Castleconnell, on the road from Limerick to Dublin; containing 2361 inhabitants. It comprises 2900 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and about 500 acres of valuable bog. The land is based on limestone; part of it is extremely rich and part sterile. Agriculture is improving rapidly, and the cultivation of green crops has been introduced. Towards the western termination of the parish there are several flourishing plantations, which form part of the Earl of Clare's demesne.

The principal seats are Thornfield, the residence of Major-General Sir R. Bourke; Woodsdown, of Major Gough; Mulcaher, of the Rev. J. Crampton; and Rich Hill, of W. Howly, Esq. It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Killaloe, forming part of the union of Castleconnell: the tithes amount to £271. 14. 9 ¾. The church was destroyed in the war of 1641, and was rebuilt, but is now in ruins.

In the R. C. divisions it is also part of the union or district of Castleconnell, and has a large new chapel at Ahane. About 200 children are educated in three schools, to one of which General Bourke, who built the school-house, subscribes £14 annually. Here is a dispensary, connected with that of Castleconnell.

Search Topographical Dictionary of Ireland »