KILLERICK, or KILLERRIG, a parish, in the barony and county of CARLOW, and province of LEINSTER, 5 ¼ miles (E. by N.) from Carlow, on the river Slaney; containing, with part of the suburbs of the post-town of Tallow, 1261 inhabitants. A preceptory of Knights Templars was founded here in the reign of King John, by Gilbert de Bocard, which, at the suppression of that order, was granted to the Knights Hospitallers, and, at the general dissolution, to Sir Gerard Aylmer. In 1331, the Irish burnt the church, with the priest and eighty persons who had assembled in it; but the Pope ordered the Archbishop of Dublin to excommunicate all the persons engaged in the perpetration of this atrocious act, and to lay their lands under an interdict.

The parish comprises 3841 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £3405 per annum, which, with the exception of about 100 acres, is good arable and pasture land.

The principal seats are Duckett's Grove, the residence of J. D. Duckett, Esq.; and Russell's-town Park, of W. Duckett, Esq. It is an impropriate curacy, in the diocese of Leighlin. forming part of the union of Urglin: the rectory is impropriate in Messrs. Humphreys and Bunbury, who receive the tithes, amounting to £360, out of which £18. 9. 2 ¾. is paid to the curate. At Friarstown are the ruins of a castle and of a religious establishment.

Search Topographical Dictionary of Ireland »