KILLEEDY, a parish, in the Glenquin Division of the barony of UPPER CONNELLO, county of LIMERICK, and province of MUNSTER, 4 miles (S.) from Newcastle, on the road from that place to Newmarket; containing 5420 inhabitants. The castle of Glenquin, which gives name to this division of the barony, was built by an Irish chieftain of the O'Hallinans, in 1462, but was soon afterwards seized by the O'Briens, who retained possession for some years, when it was seized by the O'Hanlons, who were expelled by the Geraldines, by whom it was forfeited in the Desmond rebellion, and was ultimately captured and dismantled by Captain Raleigh. This castle was granted to Sir W. Courtney in 1591, together with the castle of Killeedy, which was erected by the Knights Templars and afterwards belonged to the Earls of Desmond. At Strand, near Glenquin, the Knights Templars also erected Temple Stran, in 1291.

The castle of Cleanlis, or Castle English, a strong fortress, of which the owner enjoyed peculiar privileges, was also in this parish. It comprises 26,005 statute acres, of which 9059 are applotted under the tithe act, and the remainder is mountain and bog: the mountains contain coal, iron-stone, and limestone. At Hernsbrook is the very neat residence of M. Aherin, Esq.

The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Limerick, forming the corps of the prebend of Killeedy in the Cathedral of Limerick and is in the patronage of the Bishop.

The tithes amount to £482. 12. 3 ¾. The church and glebe house were destroyed by the Rockites in 1822, and have not been rebuilt: the glebe comprises 27 acres.

In the R. C. divisions it is the head of a union or district, called Ashford, comprising also a small part of Monegay; the chapel is a large plain building at Ashford. About 60 children are educated in two public schools, which are partially supported by the Earl of Devon, and about 210 in two private schools.

Search Topographical Dictionary of Ireland »