KILGOBBIN

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

KILGOBBIN, a parish, in the barony of CORKAGUINEY, county of KERRY, and province of MUNSTER, 7 ½ miles (W. S. W.) from Tralee, on the Connor Hill road from that place to Dingle; containing 2378 inhabitants. It comprises 17,449 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act; part of it is well cultivated. Sea-weed is much used for manure, and there is a fine bank of shell-sand at Bunnavounder. On the side of the mountain of Cahirconree is a quarry of indifferent slate, and iron is said to exist at Carraduff: at Bunnow is a large flour-mill. There is a constabulary police station at Knock-glass. The principal seats are Garryhees, the residence of F. Fitzgerald, Esq.; Knockglass, of Mrs. Ray; and the glebe-house, of the Rev. E. Day. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Ardfert and Aghadoe, and in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £422. The church, for the erection of which the late Board of First Fruits granted a loan of £850, in 1825, is a handsome building, with a square tower surmounted with pinnacles. There is a glebe-house, for the erection of which the same Board gave £250 and lent £550, in 1820: the glebe comprises ten acres. In the R. C. divisions this parish is the head of a union or district, called Cappaclough, comprising the parish of Kilgobbin and part of Ballinvohir: the old chapel at Cappaclough is in ruins, and a new building has been erected at Camp. At the latter place are the ruins of an ancient castle. There are four private schools in the parish.—See CAPPACLOUGH.

« Kilgobbin (Dublin) | Index | Kilgobinet »

Search Topographical Dictionary of Ireland »