BURROS-in-OSSORY, a market and post-town

BURROS-in-OSSORY, a market and post-town, in the parish of AGHABOE, barony of UPPER OSSORY, QUEEN'S county, and province of LEINSTER, 13 miles (S. W. by W.) from Maryborough, and 53 miles (S. W. by W.) from Dublin; containing 770 inhabitants. This place was formerly of some importance: being bounded on the north by the river Nore, and encompassed on every other side by bogs, it formed the great pass to Munster; and for its defence the Fitzpatricks, proprietors of the district, at an early period built a castle, of which, as appears by his will, Sir Barnaby Fitzpatrick, second baron of Upper Ossory, was in possession in 1582. In 1600, Queen Elizabeth granted this place, among other possessions, to Florence Fitzpatrick and his son, which grant was confirmed by James I. in 1611. The castle was, in 1641, besieged by Florence; and the garrison, consisting of Protestants of Upper Ossory, though enduring the greatest sufferings from want of provisions, refused to surrender, and kept possession of it till they were relieved by Sir C. Coote. In 1642, Bryan, the sixth baron, accompanied the insurgents to besiege this castle, which was subsequently granted to the Duke of Ormonde, and, with the townland of Burros, comprising 600 acres, is now part of the estate of the Duke of Buckingham.

The town is situated on the mail coach road from Dublin to Limerick, and consists of one long street containing about 130 houses. It has a market; and fairs are held on Jan. 25th, March 21st, May 31st, June 24th, Aug. 15th, Oct. 11th, Nov. 21st, and Dec. 20th. A constabulary police force is stationed in the town; and the quarter sessions for the county are held in April and October, and petty sessions irregularly. Here is also a dispensary. Near the town, on the estate of the Earl of Mountrath, are some remains of the old castle of Ballaghmore, built by the Fitzpatricks, which, in 1647, was attacked by Capt. Hedges and the garrison of Burros, to whom it surrendered, and was partly dismantled; the captain, on his return, was intercepted, and before he reached his quarters lost several of his men. On Kyle hill, about two miles from the town, is a rude stone chair, called by the peasantry the "Fairy Chair," which was probably in former times a seat of judgment of the Brehons.—See AGHABOE.

Search Topographical Dictionary of Ireland »