BRINNY, a parish

BRINNY, a parish, partly in the Eastern Division of the barony of EAST CARBERY, and partly in the barony of KINNALEA, but chiefly in that of KINNALMEAKY, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 3 miles (N. E.) from Bandon; containing 1949 inhabitants. In the civil war of 1641 a running fight took place between a part of the garrison of Bandon and a body of insurgents, which terminated at Brinny bridge in the defeat of the latter, of whom 50 were killed. The parish is situated on the north road from Cork to Bandon, and comprises 7200 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. About two-thirds of the land are under tillage, and the remainder in pasture; the soil is good, and the system of agriculture is greatly improved; there is neither waste land nor bog. Good building stone, of which there are several quarries, and flags of excellent quality abound in the parish. The surrounding scenery is pleasingly diversified, and there are several handsome gentlemen's seats, the principal of which are Upton, the residence of the Rev. Somers Payne; Brinny House, of J. Nash, Esq.; Garryhankard, of T. Biggs, Esq.; Beechmount, of T. Hornebrook, Esq.; Brothersfort, of W. Whiting, Esq.; and Kilmore, of W. Popham, Esq. There are some extensive flour-mills near the bridge, and in the demesne of Upton is a police barrack.

The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Cork, with the rectory and vicarage of Knockavilly episcopally united in 1810, forming the union of Brinny, in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £405, of which £5 is payable to the dean of Cork and £400 to the rector; and the gross amount of tithe is £1025. The church was wholly rebuilt by aid of a loan of £300 from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1813; it is a neat edifice with a tower. Divine service is also performed in a licensed house at Knockavilly, and in a school-house in the summer evenings. The glebe contains only eight acres, and there is no glebe-house. In the R. C. divisions this is one of the five parishes constituting the union or district of Innishannon. The parochial school, in which are 27 boys and 18 girls, is supported principally by the rector, who also superintends a Sunday school; and a school of 58 boys and 30 girls is supported by subscription, aided by an annual donation of £3 from the parish priest.

Search Topographical Dictionary of Ireland »