BALLYLOUGHLOE, a parish, in the barony of CLONLONAN, county of WESTMEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 4 miles (E. N. E.) from Athlone, on the road to Mullingar; containing 4739 inhabitants. In 1795 a skirmish took place at the Five-mile House between the peasantry and the yeomanry, in consequence of an attempt to enforce the ballot for the militia. The parish comprises 6194 acres, as applotted under the tithe act: the lands are generally in a good state of cultivation, and under an improved system of agriculture; there are about 70 acres of bog, but no waste land. Limestone abounds, and lead ore has been found, but no vein has hitherto been discovered. Moydrum Castle, the seat of Viscount Castlemaine, is a handsome castellated mansion, erected in 1814, and beautifully situated in an extensive demesne, on one side of which is a small lake.

The other seats are Glynwood House, that of John Longworth, Esq., a handsome modern residence near the road from Dublin to Athlone; Belvill, of Gustavus Jones, Esq.; Twyford, of E. Hodson, Esq.; Ballinalack, of Christopher Adamson, Esq.; Cairn Park, of W. G. Adamson, Esq.; and Coolvock, of F. Dillon, Esq.; and on the eastern confines, near Moate, is Shurock, the property of Sir W. Jackson Homan, Bart. A manorial court is held alternately at Moate and Baylin on the first Monday in every month. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Meath, with the rectory and vicarage of Drumraney united by act of council in 1804, and in the patronage of the Bishop; the tithes of the parish amount to £360, and the gross tithes of the benefice to £650. 15. 4 ½. The church, a neat edifice of stone and in good repair, was erected in 1812, by aid of a loan of £400 from the late Board of First Fruits; and the glebe-house was built by a gift of £100 and a loan of £675 from the same Board, in 1809. The glebe comprises 32 acres of profitable land, valued at £2. 15. 4 ½. per acre; and there is a glebe in Drumraney of 33 acres, valued at £87. 9. per annum.

In the R. C. divisions the parish, also called Caulry, is in the diocese of Ardagh, and is co-extensive with that of the Established Church; the chapel is a large building at Mount-Temple, attached to which is a school under the National Board. A school at Baylin is supported by Lord Castlemaine, and another at the same place, for girls, by Lady Castlemaine; and a school at Ballinagarbery is supported by a bequest from the late Dr. Maxwell. In these schools about 150 boys and 190 girls receive instruction: and there are also three pay schools, in which are about 200 children. There are several remains of ancient castles and Danish raths; near the church is a remarkable moat, similar to that at Castle-Kindelane; and there are also two mineral springsin the parish. There was anciently a friary at Farrenemanagh, near this place, which was in ruins at the time of issuing an inquisition in the 3rd of James I., but no vestiges of it can now be traced.

Search Topographical Dictionary of Ireland »