BALLYHEA, a parish

BALLYHEA, a parish, partly in the barony of ORRERY and KILMORE, but chiefly in that of FERMOY, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 2 miles (S. S. E.) from Charleville; containing 1591 inhabitants. At this place was an ancient castle belonging to the Fitzgerald family, called Castle Dod, which was taken in 1642 by Lord Inchiquin, on which occasion 200 of the Irish were slain. The parish is situated on the river Awbeg, and is intersected by the mail coach road from Cork to Limerick. It comprises 5235 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £5151 per ann.: the greater portion is under tillage, held in large farms; the land is generally good, and there is some good grazing land, on which store cattle are fattened for the Cork market. Limestone gravel is found in abundance, and burnt for manure. The only seat is Castle Harrison, the residence of Standish Harrison, Esq., erected on the site of Castle Dod.

It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Cloyne, forming the corps of the prebend of Ballyhea in the cathedral of Cloyne, and united also to the vicarage of Rathgoggan; the rectory is appropriate to the vicars choral of the cathedral of Christchurch, Dublin; the tithes amount to £400. The church has been long in ruin, and, from its extent and its ornamental details, appears to have been a spacious and handsome edifice. The glebe comprises 2 ½ acres. In the R. C. divisions the greater portion of the parish is united with the parishes of Ardskeagh, Cooline, Emerick or Imphrick, Aglishdrinagh, and part of the parish of Shandrum: the chapel, a spacious building on the border of Aglishdrinagh, was erected in 1831, on a site given by Mr. Harrison. There are two pay schools, in which are about 50 children.

Search Topographical Dictionary of Ireland »