ARDSKEAGH, a parish

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

ARDSKEAGH, a parish, in the barony of CONDONS and CLONGIBBONS, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 2 miles (S. by E.) from Charleville; containing 302 inhabitants. This parish, called also Ardskreagh, is separated from the main body of the barony in which it is included by the intervention of the northern part of the barony of Fermoy. It comprises 1993 ½ statute acres, as applotted for the county cess, and valued at £1420 per annum. The land under tillage is tolerably fertile, but a large portion of the parish is mountain pasture; the system of agriculture is gradually improving. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Cloyne, and in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £88. 11. 9. There is neither church nor glebe-house; the occasional duties are performed by the clergyman of the adjoining parish. The glebe, near the site of the old church (some remains of which still exist in the burial-ground), comprises four acres. In the R. C. divisions the parish is partly in the union or district of Charleville, but chiefly in that of Ballyhea. A school is held in the old chapel at Newtown.

« Ardsallis | Index | Ardstraw »

Search Topographical Dictionary of Ireland »