John Cullen, Miniature Painter

(b. 1761, d. between 1825 and 1830)

Miniature Painter

From A Dictionary of Irish Artists 1913

Was son of E. Cullen, box-keeper at the Crow Street Theatre, and was born in 1761. He studied in the Dublin Society's School where he won a prize for figure-drawing in 1775, and was afterwards a pupil of H. D. Hamilton. He practised in Dublin as a portrait painter in crayons and miniature. In 1787 he moved from his former address at the corner of Suffolk Street to 76 Grafton Street, and in 1789 was at 11 Suffolk Street, where he remained until 1823. He then changed to 10 William Street, and in 1825 to 14 Fleet Street. He was an exhibitor in Dublin in 1800, 1801, 1812, 1815, and 1817. In the latter year he exhibited a miniature of Gerald Macklin, State Surgeon. He died between 1825 and 1830. A small portrait in crayons of "Richard, 3rd Viscount Powerscourt," signed and dated 1778, done in the manner of Hamilton, belongs to Colonel Johnston, Kilmore, Co. Armagh. A portrait of "Edward Lysaght" was engraved by P. Maguire, and forms the frontispiece to "Poems by the late Edward Lysaght" published by Gilbert and Hodges in Dublin in 1811, and a portrait of "John Magee," proprietor of the "Dublin Evening Post," was engraved in Cox's "Irish Magazine" for August, 1815.

« Cudulig Ua Inmainen | Contents and Search | William Cuming »