Giles King, Engraver

(fl. 1732-1746)


From A Dictionary of Irish Artists 1913

A native of England who worked as an engraver in London, and afterwards in Dublin from about 1744 to 1746. Four interesting views, amongst the earliest of engraved Irish landscapes, were produced by him from drawings by William Jones (q.v.), viz.: "A View of the Blackrocks," "A View of Hoth," "The Salmon Leap at Leixlip," and "Powerscourt Waterfall." These were published in Dublin in 1744-5 by Jones himself, and afterwards in London by John Bowles. They were then cut down and re-issued by Wilkinson. To Smith's "History of Waterford," 1746, King contributed three plates etched from drawings by Anthony Chearnley (q.v.): "A View of Lismore," "A View of Dungarvan," and "A View of Waterford." These are inscribed Giles King Londins Sculpt Dublin 1746. One mezzotint by him is known, a "Portrait of Thomas Carter, Master of the Rolls," after a picture by William Jones (q.v.). It was published by John Simpson, opposite the Custom House, Essex Street, and is inscribed Giles King Fecit Dublin 1745. A portrait of "Mr. Rapin de Thoyras," J. Brandon Pinxit. G. King sculpsit 1732, forms the frontispiece to Rapin's "History of England" published by James Mechell in London in 1732.

« Edward Kimberley | Contents and Search | Henry Kirchhoffer »