George Mullins, Landscape Painter

(fl. 1763-1775)

Landscape Painter

From A Dictionary of Irish Artists 1913

He was a pupil of James Mannin in the Dublin Society's Drawing School about 1756. He first found employment in Waterford in painting trays and lids of snuff-boxes in the manufactory of Japan and Birmingham ware established by Thomas Wyse. Returning to Dublin he married the proprietress of "The Horseshoe and Magpie," an ale-house in Temple Bar much frequented by theatrical performers. From there, in 1765, he sent three landscapes in oil to the exhibition of the Society of Artists held in George's Lane, and continued to exhibit until 1769. The Dublin Society awarded him a premium of ten guineas in 1763 for "the best original landscape painted in oil," and another, of fifteen pounds, in 1768 for the second best history piece. About this time he was employed by the Earl of Charlemont in decorative work at Marino. In 1770 he went to London and commenced to exhibit in the Royal Academy, sending "three small heads in oil" and a "View from the Temple at Marino, in which is introduced the story of Diana and Actaeon." His address was then "at Mr. Robert Carver's, Great Newport Street." He continued to exhibit until 1775. Walpole notes of one of his landscapes in the Academy in 1771 that it was "in the manner of Poelemberg, good"; and another, which he notes as "better," he purchased. A folio mezzotint of "A Spanish Dog, done from an original Picture painted by George Mullins," G. Mullins pinxt. et fecit, was published by Sayer in London in 1772. Mullins' pictures were much esteemed in his day; they are said to have excelled in tone and colour.

Besides painting landscapes he found much employment in sign-painting. He was the instructor of Thomas Roberts, the landscape painter. There is no mention of him after 1775. His "Return of Telemachus" was in the collection of Lord Listowel sold in Dublin in 1839.

« Mulling or Moling | Contents and Search | William Mulready »