The Dugan Family

Dugan family crest

(Crest No. 129. Plate 38.)

THE Dugan family is descended from Milesius, King of Spain, through the line of his son Heber. The founder of the family was Corc, King of Munster, A. D. 360, of the line of Fiacha Mulliathan, son of Eogan More, founder of the Eoganacht tribe.

The ancient name was McDugan, which signifies “Son of the Sword.” The possessions of the sept were located in the present Counties of Wexford and Cork. In ancient times the O’Dugans, with the O’Keefes and O’Cosgroves, were chiefs in Fearmuighe Feine, now the barony of Fermoy, which was afterward possessed by the family of Roche, Viscounts of Fermoy, and called “Roche’s country.” The O’Dugans were also chiefs in Shelbourne, a barony in Wexford.

Many of this name were distinguished for their learning and ability. John More O’Dugan, who died in 1372, was the chief historian of all Ireland. He was the author of a curious topographical poem, in which he gives the names of the principal tribes and districts in Ulster, Connaught, and Meath and the chiefs who presided over them, before they were dispossessed by the English or by other Irish tribes. He was also the author of several poems and poetical prose pieces addressed to the O’Kellys, his patrons, of which copies are preserved in a fragment of the Book of Hy Many, in the Library of Trinity College, Dublin. He died in the monastery of Rinn-duin (Randown), County of Roscommon, where he passed the closing years of his life.

Peter Paul Duggan, an artist of merit, was also a descendant of this family. He came to the United States early in life, and became Professor in the New York Free Academy. He died in Paris October 15, 1861.