Tacumshane - Wexford Guide and Directory, 1885.

About “Wexford County Guide and Directory,” 1885

George Henry Bassett produced 7 Irish county directories in the 1880s: Antrim, Armagh, Down, Kilkenny, Louth, Tipperary and Wexford. Each provides useful history of the respective counties as well as lists of office holders, farmers, traders, and other residents of the individual cities, towns and villages.

Read more »

The directories are naturally an invaluable resource for those tracing family history. However, there are a few points to bear in mind.

  1. This online version of Bassett’s Wexford County Guide and Directory is designed primarily as a genealogical research tool and therefore the numerous advertisements in the original book, many full page, and quite a few illustrated, have been excluded.
  2. The text has been proofed with due care, but with large bodies of text typographical errors are inevitably bound to occur.
  3. Be aware that there were often inconsistencies in spelling surnames in the 19th century and also that many forenames are abbreviated in Bassett’s directories.

With respect to the last point, surnames which today begin with the “Mc” prefix, for example, were often formerly spelt as “M‘,”. For a list of some of the more common forename abbreviations used in the directory, see Forename Abbreviations.

Show less

A RURAL village of about ten houses, nine miles from Wexford, and one mile from Lake Tacumshane, in the Barony of Forth. Lake Tacumshane, which was by ancient writers called Lough Sale, has a holy island, though it was never in such repute as that of Lady’s Island Lake. Bargy Castle and Butlerstown Castle, built respectively by the Rossiters and the Butlers, and Tacumshane Castle, by the Hayses, are in the lake vicinity. Bargy Castle is used as a residence by Mr. John M. Harvey, and though ascribed to the Rossiters, it is possible that it existed as a fort or stronghold at a very early period. The ancient Castle is incorporated in the present buildings, though disguised by its surroundings so as to be recognised with difficulty.


Very Rev. Thomas Roche, P.P.

Rev. Patrick M. Furlong, C.C.


Rev. P. Foley.


Jasper Stafford.


Gerald Doherty, Sergeant.


Those marked (*) are licensed to sell Spirits.

Donohoe, John

*Furlong, Nicholas

*Moran, Nicholas

Murphy, Anastasia

Stafford, Jasper


(Postal District.)

Boxwell, Francis (Sub-Agent, Lloyd’s), Millknock.

Byrne, Laurence, The Cotts

Cardiff, Ml., Sigginstown

Carr, John, Bing

Codd, M. M., Ballytory house

Codd, Pk., Churchtown

Cousins, Robt., Cumshinstown

Devereux, John, Ballyregan

Devereux, Laurence, Ballymurray Devereux, Nicholas, Ballytory

Doyle, D. Rostoonstown

Furlong, Thomas, Ring

Greene, Geo. R., Hilltown

Harper, Edward, Ring

Harrison, Benjamin, Hardyglass

Hayes, Thos., Bennettstown

Hinton, John, Cumshinstown

Hore, James, Ring

Kehoe, Jas., Bennettstown

Jeffares, Jos., Ring

Lambert, John, Sigginstown

Meyler, Rd., Sigginstown

Moran, Nicholas, Fence

Moran, Pk., Ballyboy

Marshall, James, Ring

Marshall, Nicholas, Bush

Murphy, A., Crylough

Murphy, James, Ballyhigho

Murphy, Jn., Muchtown

Murphy, Nicholas, Coddstown

Murphy, Pk., Hilltown

Murphy, Peter, Ballytory

Murphy, Wm., Reedstown

Neill, Arthur, Hilltown

Pierce, James, Ballymacane

Pierce, Thos., Churchtown

Pierce, Thos., Tacumshane castle

Rachard, Pk., Sigginstown

Radford, Jas., Hardyglass

Reville, Rd., Ecclestown

Rossiter, Nicholas, Hilltown

Rossiter, Pk., Paradise

Rowe, Robt., Hilltown

Scanlan, Pk., Hilltown

Stafford, James, Grogane

Stafford, Jasper, Faythe

Stafford, Rd., Millknock

Tanner, Jn., Greenfield

Walsh, Hugh, Paradise

Walsh, Matthew, Walshestown

Walsh, Nicholas, Rostoonstown

Wilson, J., Sigginstown castle

Search for a copy of Bassett’s Wexford Guide and Directory, 1885