Kyle - Wexford Guide and Directory, 1885

About “Wexford County Guide and Directory,” 1885

George Henry Bassett produced 7 Irish county directories in the 1880s: Antrim, Armagh, Down, Kilkenny, Louth, Tipperary and Wexford. Each provides useful history of the respective counties as well as lists of office holders, farmers, traders, and other residents of the individual cities, towns and villages.

Read more »

The directories are naturally an invaluable resource for those tracing family history. However, there are a few points to bear in mind.

  1. This online version of Bassett’s Wexford County Guide and Directory is designed primarily as a genealogical research tool and therefore the numerous advertisements in the original book, many full page, and quite a few illustrated, have been excluded.
  2. The text has been proofed with due care, but with large bodies of text typographical errors are inevitably bound to occur.
  3. Be aware that there were often inconsistencies in spelling surnames in the 19th century and also that many forenames are abbreviated in Bassett’s directories.

With respect to the last point, surnames which today begin with the “Mc” prefix, for example, were often formerly spelt as “M‘,”. For a list of some of the more common forename abbreviations used in the directory, see Forename Abbreviations.

Show less

Scattered population—Trout fishing.

NO more delightful drive is found in the vicinity of Wexford than that which connects it with Kyle. It is about five miles, English, by way of Ferry Carrig. Kyle is a rural Postal station, in which are a few houses on the road-side, and a pretty Protestant Church and Protestant School. Numerous plantations, surrounded by excellent lands, give picturesque effect to many private residences in the district. Among the number are Tykillen House, Bromley, Lonsdale and Mount Anna. Crossabeg is less than a mile from Kyle, on the way to Edenvale and Castlebridge. It is more of a village than Kyle, but is known to the Postal authorities by the latter name. Letters to its residents should be addressed Crossabeg, Kyle, Wexford. Crossabeg contains the Catholic Church, and is the place of residence of the Parish Priest. A trout stream, which sometimes affords good sport, runs at the foot of the hill, upon the side of which Crossabeg comfortably nestles.


Rev. Thos. Doyle, P.P., Crossabeg

Rev. James Walsh, C.C., Sion


Rev. R. Burnett, Rector, Tykillen


P, Courtenay


Mary Hughes, Mistress


Mary Ellen Ewing, Mistress


Foley, John, and cattle and spirit dealer

Smith, Wm., and farmer


(Postal District.)

Barry, Silvester, Ballinacarrig

Bennett, Isaac, Newcastle up

Breen, Michael, Kereight

Breen, Richard, Kereight

Browne, James, Kitestown

Cashin, Thomas, Crory

Cloony, Michael, Monmore

Codd, Laurence, Munmore

Connor, John, Newcastle up

Cooper, Henry, Kavanagh’s park

Crowley, Michael, Newtown

Cullen, T., Garrywilliam

Davis, William, Monmore

Donnelly, John, Newtown upper

Doyle, John, Newcastle

Edward, Martin, Crory up

Flood, E. S., J.P., Ballinaslaney

Fortune, John, Crory upper

Fortune, Michael, Kereight

Fortune, Paul, Kereight

Fortune, Richard, Crory upper

Frayne, Joseph, Garrywilliam

Furlong, John, Tykillen

Gainfort, Thomas, Crory upper

Godkin, Samuel, Killowen

Goodall, Miss, Ballydicken up

Goodall, N., jun, Ballydicken up

Green, John (J.P.), Mount Anna

Harvey, C. W. (J.P.), Bromley

Harvey, Capt, Percy L. (D.L.), Lonsdale

Hawkins, Samuel, Crory middle

Hanlon, Brian, Kereight

Kehoe, Denis, Crory upper

Kehoe, Martin, Kereight

Kelly, Gregory, Farmhill

Laffan, Michael, Deeps

Lambert, James, Killowen

Lambert, John, Newcastle

Lambert, Mathew, Killowen

Lambert, Patrick, Ballydicken

Lambert, Robert

Lee, Frank, Sion

LeHunte, Misses, Artramont cotge

M‘Donald, John, Kitestown

Malone, Patrick, Ballyharron lr

Morris, Thomas, Newcastle up

Murphy, Peter, Deeps

Parkinson, Dr. R. J., Ballyharron

Redmond, Edward, Munmore

Rossiter, Henry, Garrycleary

Sinnott, William, Newcastle up

Shortall, James, St. Edmonds

Thornton, Robert, Garrywilliam

Walker, Henry, Killowen

Walker, Capt. Thomas J. (D.L.), Tykillen house

Search for a copy of Bassett’s Wexford Guide and Directory, 1885