Kiltealy - Wexford Guide and Directory, 1885

About “Wexford County Guide and Directory,” 1885

George Henry Bassett produced 7 Irish county directories in the 1880s: Antrim, Armagh, Down, Kilkenny, Louth, Tipperary and Wexford. Each provides useful history of the respective counties as well as lists of office holders, farmers, traders, and other residents of the individual cities, towns and villages.

Read more »

The directories are naturally an invaluable resource for those tracing family history. However, there are a few points to bear in mind.

  1. This online version of Bassett’s Wexford County Guide and Directory is designed primarily as a genealogical research tool and therefore the numerous advertisements in the original book, many full page, and quite a few illustrated, have been excluded.
  2. The text has been proofed with due care, but with large bodies of text typographical errors are inevitably bound to occur.
  3. Be aware that there were often inconsistencies in spelling surnames in the 19th century and also that many forenames are abbreviated in Bassett’s directories.

With respect to the last point, surnames which today begin with the “Mc” prefix, for example, were often formerly spelt as “M‘,”. For a list of some of the more common forename abbreviations used in the directory, see Forename Abbreviations.

Show less

A RURAL village of eight houses, within seven miles of Enniscorthy, the nearest railway station. The lands of the surrounding country are good for pasture and tillage. There is a small trout stream within a quarter of a mile. A fowl market is held on Mondays.

Thomas Doyle, post master

Myles Brien & Kate Netterville, National school teachers


James Bowe, Margaret Magee


John Beamey, James Breen, John Breen, Geo. Carroll, Edward Cleary, Patrick Connors, Thomas Connors, Edward Doran, Edwd. Doyle, Darby Leary, Jas. Leary, John Leary, John M‘Quaide, Hugh Murphy, Wm. Murphy, James Nolan, Robert Ring, Denis Shea, Peter Tobin, James Treacy

Search for a copy of Bassett’s Wexford Guide and Directory, 1885