Clohamon - Wexford Guide and Directory, 1885

About “Wexford County Guide and Directory,” 1885

George Henry Bassett produced 7 Irish county directories in the 1880s: Antrim, Armagh, Down, Kilkenny, Louth, Tipperary and Wexford. Each provides useful history of the respective counties as well as lists of office holders, farmers, traders, and other residents of the individual cities, towns and villages.

Read more »

The directories are naturally an invaluable resource for those tracing family history. However, there are a few points to bear in mind.

  1. This online version of Bassett’s Wexford County Guide and Directory is designed primarily as a genealogical research tool and therefore the numerous advertisements in the original book, many full page, and quite a few illustrated, have been excluded.
  2. The text has been proofed with due care, but with large bodies of text typographical errors are inevitably bound to occur.
  3. Be aware that there were often inconsistencies in spelling surnames in the 19th century and also that many forenames are abbreviated in Bassett’s directories.

With respect to the last point, surnames which today begin with the “Mc” prefix, for example, were often formerly spelt as “M‘,”. For a list of some of the more common forename abbreviations used in the directory, see Forename Abbreviations.

Show less

CLOHAMON is a beautifully situated village, in the Barony of Scarawalsh, on the direct road between Enniscorthy and Newtownbarry, and between Ferns and Newtownbarry. The nearest railway station is Ferns, seven miles English; and the nearest market is Newtownbarry—less than two miles. Twenty years ago Clohamon was prosperous, and known throughout the United Kingdom. By the enterprise of William Lewis, a cotton factory was built there, on the left bank of the Slaney, which gave employment to upwards of one hundred hands. Mr. Lewis died in 1868, and the machinery soon afterwards was broken up and sent to England as scrap iron. Some time before his death, the Clohamon make had secured a prominent recognition in the English market. A limited liability company has recently been organized to fit the mill buildings with machinery for woollen manufacture. The ruins of Clohamon and Ryland Castles are in the vicinity. Among the handsome private residences within a mile or so are those of Mr. Walter Sweetman, Clohamon House; Mr. W. H. Croker, Newlands; Mr. John D. Devereux, Ballyrankin; Mr. Lorenzo Dundas, Clobemon Hall; and Mr. John Murphy, J.P., Rylands. Population 150 in 1881.

Rev. S. Cloney, P.P., Kilrush

Rev. R. M. Dean, Rector I.C., Kilrush

W. H. Hanlon, Postmaster

Maria King, Nat. School teacher, Kingsland

E. Smyly, Prot. School, Kilrush


Baker—Peter Hanlon

Grocers—P. Hanlon, Anne Nolan

Spirit Dealers—Owen Connors, J. Whelan


Bookey, F., Knockanure

Bookey, W. T. E., Derrybane

Carroll, D., Ballyroebuck

Connor, Thomas, Kiltilly

Croker, W. H., Newlands

Doyle, Joseph, Ballyroebuck

Doyle, Moses, Ballyphilip

Dundas, Lorenzo, Clohamon hall

Fitzpatrick, J., Ballinaberney

Green, G., Graiguemore

Kehoe, M., Lackendarrig

Kelly, N., Coolattin

Kenny, M., Knockanure

Kidd,, John, Ballyrankin

Kinch, Isaac, Ballycadden

Lancaster, James, Kiltilly

Lancaster, Richard, Kiltilly

Levingston, George, Kiltilly

Linnen, Denis, Moyeady

Murphy, Gregory, Ballinaberney

Murphy, J. (J.P.), coroner, Ryl

Murphy, R., Ballinaberney

Nicholson, G., Graiguebeg

Nolan, Thomas, Raheen

Patterson, S., Knockanure

Ralph, Thomas, Graiguebeg

Rice, James, Knockanure

Roche, P., Ballyphilip

Ryan, James, Raheen

Sweetman, W., Clohamon ho

Trainor, Denis, Kiltilly

Tully, Richard, Graiguebeg

Whelan, Patrick, Kiltilly

Search for a copy of Bassett’s Wexford Guide and Directory, 1885