Ballycogley - Wexford Guide and Directory, 1885

About “Wexford County Guide and Directory,” 1885

George Henry Bassett produced 7 Irish county directories in the 1880s: Antrim, Armagh, Down, Kilkenny, Louth, Tipperary and Wexford. Each provides useful history of the respective counties as well as lists of office holders, farmers, traders, and other residents of the individual cities, towns and villages.

Read more »

The directories are naturally an invaluable resource for those tracing family history. However, there are a few points to bear in mind.

  1. This online version of Bassett’s Wexford County Guide and Directory is designed primarily as a genealogical research tool and therefore the numerous advertisements in the original book, many full page, and quite a few illustrated, have been excluded.
  2. The text has been proofed with due care, but with large bodies of text typographical errors are inevitably bound to occur.
  3. Be aware that there were often inconsistencies in spelling surnames in the 19th century and also that many forenames are abbreviated in Bassett’s directories.

With respect to the last point, surnames which today begin with the “Mc” prefix, for example, were often formerly spelt as “M‘,”. For a list of some of the more common forename abbreviations used in the directory, see Forename Abbreviations.

Show less

IN one of the best spots of the fertile Barony of Forth, six and a-half miles south of Wexford, on the road to Kilmore, is the village of Ballycogley. Its houses, thatched and slated, are comfortable; many of them pretty. The situation is rather high, and the place is consequently wholesome. The surrounding lands are good for pasture and tillage, the surface being gently undulating. Ballycogley’s most conspicuous and interesting object is the ruined church of Mayglass, whose date is supposed to be the end of the 13th century. Of the remains, a handsomely-sculptured doorway and eastern window are most noteworthy. Originally the chancel was divided from the nave by a broad Saxon arch, which fell about 1833. The elevation on which the ruin stands, is an old Danish mound or rath, and is extensively used as a burial place. In it lie the remains of Beauchamp Bagenal Harvey, put to death in 1798, for high treason. At a distance of about half a mile is Ballycogley Castle, built by the Waddings, and now the property of Mr. N. J. Barrington. Among the handsome residences in the vicinity may be mentioned Thornville, belonging to Mr. Henry H. Meadows, J.P.; Silverspring, Captain E. Nunn; Mountpleasant, Mr. W. Whitney; and Ballycogley, Mr. N. J. Barrington.


Rev. Thomas Cahill, P.P.

Rev. William Sinnott, C.C.


Maria Malone, Mistress


Francis Prendergast


Sergeant Doherty


J. Power


Francis Dillon


Codd, Thomas

Doyle, Patrick

Stafford, Patrick


Devereux, Michael

Sinnott, James


John Meyler


Margaret O’Connell


Bolger, Fanny

M‘Donnell, Alice

Staunton, Kate


Francis Prendergast


Those marked thus (*) are Spirit Dealers.

*Codd, Thomas

Ellard, William

*O’Connell, Margaret

Prendergast, Francis

*Rossiter, Nicholas

*Sinnott, Walter


Morris, Patrick

Murphy, Martin

O’Brien, James

Whitty, John

Whitty, Mark


Prendergast, John

Furlong, John


Francis Prendergast


Howlin, Nicholas

O’Neill, Arthur

Walsh, Patrick


Walter Bolger


(Postal District).

Bates, John, Grange

Boggan, James, Piercetown

Bolger, John, Woodtown

Boxwell, Francis, Butlerstown castle

Boxwell, Harvey, Hermitage

Busher, Edward, Littlebridge

Cardiff, John, Ballynalittle

Clinch, Patrick, Lyngstown, lower

Codd, James, Churchlands

Codd, John, Grange

Coghlan, John, Ballynaas

Cullen, James, Silverspring

Day, William, Garryhack

Delany, Moses, Pludboher

Devereux, John E., Harveystown

Devereux, John, Harveystown

Dillon, Thomas, Crosscales

Fortune, John, Gardimus, great

Furlong, James, Braestown

Furlong, John, Hardygregan

Furlong, Nicholas, Mooretown

Furlong, Patrick, Cooloughter

Harvey, John M., Bargy castle

Hayes, Ptk., Loughgunnen, little

Herron, Patrick, Mountpill

Hore, Patrick, Mountpill

Howlin, Martin, Gardimus, great

Kehoe, John

Kenselah, Richard, Tomhaggard

M‘Cabe, Wm., Mountpleasant or Tagunen

M‘Donald, Thomas, Haggardtown

Meany, James, Randalstown

Mullins, Philip, Oldtown

Mullins, Moses, Tulledavin

Murphy, James, Lyngstown

Murphy, John, Greyrobin

Murphy, John, Loughgunnen

Murphy, Michael, Ballygullick

Neville, Thomas, Pettitstown

Pender, James, Grange

Power, William, Mountpill

Prendergast, Geo., Loughgunnen, little

Prendergast, J., Mooretown

Prendergast, Nicholas, Ballydoyle

Rowe, Thomas, Jonastown

Sinnott, John, Tenacre

Sinnott, Patrick, Crosstown

Sinnott, Patrick, Mooretown

Staples, Edmond, Cregg

Staples, Patrick, Busherstown

Stanton, Robert, Gardimus, little

Wheelock, Robert, Randalstown

Whelan, Thomas, Lyngstown

Whitney, William, Mountpleasant

Search for a copy of Bassett’s Wexford Guide and Directory, 1885