Terryglass, Roscrea - Book of County Tipperary, 1889

About “The Book of County Tipperary,” 1889

George Henry Bassett produced 7 Irish county directories in the 1880s: Antrim, Armagh, Down, Kilkenny, Louth, Tipperary and Wexford. Each provides useful history of the respective counties as well as lists of office holders, farmers, traders, and other residents of the individual cities, towns and villages.

Read more »

The directories are naturally an invaluable resource for those tracing family history. The Book of County Tipperary is the first of these to be made available on libraryireland.com, with its own search page. However, there are a few points to bear in mind.

  1. This online version is designed primarily as a genealogical research tool and therefore the numerous advertisements in the original book, many full page, and quite a few illustrated, have been excluded.
  2. The text has been proofed with due care, but with large bodies of text typographical errors are inevitably bound to occur.
  3. Be aware that there were often inconsistencies in spelling surnames in the 19th century and also that many forenames are abbreviated in Bassett’s directories.

With respect to the last point, surnames which today begin with the “Mc” prefix, for example, were often formerly spelt as “M‘,”. For a list of some of the more common forename abbreviations used in the directory, see Forename Abbreviations.

To enjoy the rich variety of advertisements, confirm accuracy of the entries, or have a printed record of a family member, obtain an original or facsimile copy of The Book of County Tipperary.

Show less

Terryglass is a small village in the parish of same name, barony of Lower Ormond, 5 miles, Irish, north-west from Borrisokane. It is beautifully situated within half a mile of Lough Derg. St. Patrick is said to have baptized several of the people of Thomond at this place, originally called Tir-daglas, the land of the two greens. St. Columba, in the sixth century, founded a monastery here which became famous as a college. An extensive bawn with high walls, now used as a garden by Mr. Patrick Hogan, is supposed to be the site of the monastery. The bawn was built in the reign of Elizabeth to secure the pass to Lough Derg. The ruins of the old parish church near the present edifice, occupy a portion of the old grave-yard. A handsome Catholic church built by Lt.-Col. James Hickie, is a feature of the neighborhood. Some remains continue to exist of the ancient castle of Oldcourt in the demesne of Mr. O’Flanagan, J.P.

Catholic Ch.: Priests live in Ballinderry

Church of Id.: Rev. Hy. Massy

Grocers and Spirits: Ptk.Hogan, Mrs. A. O’Brien

Post M.: Ptk. Hogan

School, Nl.: Jno. Scales


Grawn, Miss L. S., Terryglass

Hickie.Lt.-Col. J. F. (J.P.), Slevoir

Kent, George F., Elmville

O’Flanagan, Jos. J. (J.P.), Oldcourt

Parkinson, Ml., Slevoir

Sydney, Wm., Gortmore

Talbot, Ben., Shannon Lodge

Talbot, Miss. F., Shannon View

Talbot, Robert, Sheelruddera