Rosegreen, Clonmel - Book of County Tipperary, 1889

About “The Book of County Tipperary,” 1889

George Henry Bassett produced 7 Irish county directories in the 1880s: Antrim, Armagh, Down, Kilkenny, Louth, Tipperary and Wexford. Each provides useful history of the respective counties as well as lists of office holders, farmers, traders, and other residents of the individual cities, towns and villages.

Read more »

The directories are naturally an invaluable resource for those tracing family history. The Book of County Tipperary is the first of these to be made available on, with its own search page. However, there are a few points to bear in mind.

  1. This online version is designed primarily as a genealogical research tool and therefore the numerous advertisements in the original book, many full page, and quite a few illustrated, have been excluded.
  2. The text has been proofed with due care, but with large bodies of text typographical errors are inevitably bound to occur.
  3. Be aware that there were often inconsistencies in spelling surnames in the 19th century and also that many forenames are abbreviated in Bassett’s directories.

With respect to the last point, surnames which today begin with the “Mc” prefix, for example, were often formerly spelt as “M‘,”. For a list of some of the more common forename abbreviations used in the directory, see Forename Abbreviations.

To enjoy the rich variety of advertisements, confirm accuracy of the entries, or have a printed record of a family member, obtain an original or facsimile copy of The Book of County Tipperary.

Show less

Rosegreen, parish of Tullamain, is a beautifully situated village of thirteen houses, in the barony of Middlethird, 9 miles, Irish, north by west from Clonmel. It is 3 miles, Irish, south of Cashel, and 5 miles, Irish, west of Fethard, the nearest railway station. A portion of the district, called the Commons of Cashel, has rather poor land, but the rest is good. It is an excellent dairying country toward Fethard. Oats, wheat and potatoes are the principal crops. Within a short distance of the village there are remains of an extensive earthen fortification with masses of masonry like those to be seen after the explosion of a military mine. The earthen fort is on the farm of Mr. Wm. Anglim. It is about 100 yards in circumference, and has three ditches of considerable depth. Two other earthen forts, with single ditches, are within a quarter of a mile. There is a small tumulus in a field near the village which was once used for a fair green. The moat of Tullamain, from which the parish is named, being planted with forest trees, and occupying a considerable height, impresses itself upon the view from many points.

Catholic Ch: Cashel parish

Dispensary: Dr. Dl. Molony

Grocers: Ml. Donnell, Ty. Dwyer, Wm. Ryan

National League: J. Davin, sec.

Post Master: Thos. Keegan

R.I.C.: P. Higgins, sergt.

Schl. Nat.: T. Keegan, Mrs. K. Keegan


Anglim, Mrs. M. A., Rosegreen

Bergin, Patrick, Blackcastle

Casey, Richd., Rathmacarthy

Cleary, Edmond, Garryandrew N

Coffey, John, Bullockpark

Crowe, John, Kilbragh

Curran, John, Rosegreen

Donnell, Mrs., Ballydoyle

Downey, Jno., Railstown

Downey, Ml., Railstown

Downey, Ptk., Railstown

Dwyer, James, Railstown

Fitzpatrick, Ptk., Knockintemple

Flynn, Edw., Railstown

Flynn, Wm., Railstown

Grady, William, Blackcastle

Hall, Michael, Blackcastle

Heffernan, Ml., Ballyduagh

Heffernan, M., jun., Sandygrove

Heffernan, Mort., Lowesgreen

Hogan, Denis, Carron

Kearney, Jno., Railstown

Keating, Thos., Rathmacarty E

Leahy, John, Knockintemple

Long, Thomas, Blackcastle

Maher, Mrs., Blackcastle

Morrissey, Michael, Monameigh

Neill, Martin, Clashalaher

Neill, William, jun., Attykit

Quinn, Mrs. H., Kilbragh

Russell, Thos., Rathmacarthy

Ryan, John, Hill’s Lot

Trayer, Benjamin, Lyonstown