Newcastle, Clonmel - Book of County Tipperary, 1889

About “The Book of County Tipperary,” 1889

George Henry Bassett produced 7 Irish county directories in the 1880s: Antrim, Armagh, Down, Kilkenny, Louth, Tipperary and Wexford. Each provides useful history of the respective counties as well as lists of office holders, farmers, traders, and other residents of the individual cities, towns and villages.

Read more »

The directories are naturally an invaluable resource for those tracing family history. The Book of County Tipperary is the first of these to be made available on, with its own search page. However, there are a few points to bear in mind.

  1. This online version is designed primarily as a genealogical research tool and therefore the numerous advertisements in the original book, many full page, and quite a few illustrated, have been excluded.
  2. The text has been proofed with due care, but with large bodies of text typographical errors are inevitably bound to occur.
  3. Be aware that there were often inconsistencies in spelling surnames in the 19th century and also that many forenames are abbreviated in Bassett’s directories.

With respect to the last point, surnames which today begin with the “Mc” prefix, for example, were often formerly spelt as “M‘,”. For a list of some of the more common forename abbreviations used in the directory, see Forename Abbreviations.

To enjoy the rich variety of advertisements, confirm accuracy of the entries, or have a printed record of a family member, obtain an original or facsimile copy of The Book of County Tipperary.

Show less

Salmon and Trout Fishing.

Newcastle is a village of 10 or 12 houses in the barony of Iffa and Offa, west, 7 miles, Irish, south-west from Clonmel. It is one of the best salmon stands on the Suir, and near it the Tar, a first-rate trout river, also runs. The land of the district is good. Oats and potatoes are the chief crops. A great many milch cows are kept by the farmers. Miss Eliza Perry owns the village and neighbourhood. On her property is the ruin of the castle from which the parish and village were named. At various periods it belonged to the Birminghams and Prendergasts, coming into possession of the Perry’s at the close of the revolution in which James II. and William III. were the chief actors. The picturesque ivy-covered ruin of the old parish church, in the immediate vicinity, divides attention with the castle.

Catholic Ch.: Rev. Dd. Hearne, P.P.; Rev. Wills Walsh, C.C.

Dispensary: Dr. J. J. Walsh

Draper: Rt. McCarthy

Grocers, [*] spirits: Mrs. E. Fennessy*, Rt. M‘Carthy

Post M.: Rt. McCarthy


Byrne, J., jun., Ballinamona

Byrne, Wm., Moloughnewtown

Condon, William, Augh’maun

Conners, John, Garrancasey

Dowling, Ptk., Curragh

Dowling, Wm., Curragh

Egan, John, Kilnacarriga

Fennessy, David, Kilnacarriga

Fitzpatrick, Edmond, Boolahallagh

Fogarty, Mrs., K’carriga

Hallinan, Francis, Middlequarter

Hallinan, Fr. jun., Middlequarter

Hallinan, Ptk., Augh’maun

Hickey, James, Boolahallargh

Hickey, Michael, Rathokelly

Lonergan, James, Clashganny W

Lonergan, Jeremiah, Curragh

Loughnane, Cor., Clashavougha

Mulcahy, Thomas, Knockperry

Magrath, John, Crohane

Maher, James, Frehans

Meskil, Patrick, Frehans

Morrissy, Mrs. C., Mullough Abbey

Morrissey, Wm., M’newtown

Mulcahy, J. R. (J.P.) Rossmore

Mulcahy, Wm., jun., Burgessland

O’Donnell, John, Kilmaneen

O’Donnell, Michael, Crohane

O’Donnell, Richard, Kilmaneen

O’Grady, D., Curraghcloney

Prendergast, Patrick, Rathokelly

Prendergast, Robert, Crohane

Prendergast, William, Rathokelly

Scully, Patrick, Flemingstown

Tobin, James, Curraghcloney

Walsh, Rd., Middlequarter