Lorrha, Roscrea - Book of County Tipperary, 1889

About “The Book of County Tipperary,” 1889

George Henry Bassett produced 7 Irish county directories in the 1880s: Antrim, Armagh, Down, Kilkenny, Louth, Tipperary and Wexford. Each provides useful history of the respective counties as well as lists of office holders, farmers, traders, and other residents of the individual cities, towns and villages.

Read more »

The directories are naturally an invaluable resource for those tracing family history. The Book of County Tipperary is the first of these to be made available on libraryireland.com, with its own search page. However, there are a few points to bear in mind.

  1. This online version is designed primarily as a genealogical research tool and therefore the numerous advertisements in the original book, many full page, and quite a few illustrated, have been excluded.
  2. The text has been proofed with due care, but with large bodies of text typographical errors are inevitably bound to occur.
  3. Be aware that there were often inconsistencies in spelling surnames in the 19th century and also that many forenames are abbreviated in Bassett’s directories.

With respect to the last point, surnames which today begin with the “Mc” prefix, for example, were often formerly spelt as “M‘,”. For a list of some of the more common forename abbreviations used in the directory, see Forename Abbreviations.

To enjoy the rich variety of advertisements, confirm accuracy of the entries, or have a printed record of a family member, obtain an original or facsimile copy of The Book of County Tipperary.

Show less

Population 140 in 1881.

Lorrha, in the parish of same name, barony of Lower Ormond, is 6 miles, Irish, north of Borrisokane. Lorrha became famous at a very early period through the foundation here of an Abbey by St. Rouadan, who died in 584. It continued to exist until the dissolution, but had been three times destroyed by fire and rebuilt. A Dominican abbey was founded at Lorrha by Walter de Burg, Earl of Ulster, in 1269. This was so well preserved in 1688 that a chapter of the order held in it was attended by 150 friars. There are extensive remains of the abbeys.

Catholic Ch.: Rev. Rody Kennedy, P.P.; Rev. Ptk. O’Meara, C.C.; Rev. Jno. Garry, C.C.

Church of Id.: Rev. R. H. Fawcett

Grocers & Spirits: Jno. Flannery, Miss E. Mahon

Loan Fund: Jos. Slattery, M.C.

Petty Sessions, 4th Thursday every month, Jos. Slattery, clerk

Post M.: W. S. Raymond

R.I.C.: Jas. Lord, sergt

Schools, Nl.: Felix Cronin; Parochial, Miss E. Hughes


Carroll, James, Annagh

Costello, Thomas, Redwood

Crawley, Wm., Lord’s Park

Dagg, Thomas, Drummond

Darcy, John, Lissernane

Donohoe, Michael, Ballincor

Doughan, Patrick, Lissernane

Duffy, John, Graigue

Hoctor, John, Ballymacegan

Hoctor, John, Redwood

Hough, John, Ballymacegan

Keeffe, Edward, Sharragh

Kennedy, John, Redwood

Kennedy, Michael, Redwood

Kennedy, Jno., jun., Ballymacegan

Kennedy, Patrick, Curraghglass

Kennedy, Thomas, Redwood

Kennedy, Wm., Curraghglass

Kenny, Thomas, Kilcarron

Laing, George, Annagh

Laing, James, Annagh

Loughnane, Daniel, Ballymacegan

Lambe, Jeremiah, Redwood

McDowell, John, Abbeyville

Meara, John, Curraghglass

Meara, Michael, Curraghglass

Murphy, Denis, Redwood

Neill, Daniel, Ballymacegan

O’Brien, William, Tinnakilly

O’Meara, John (J.P.). Somerset Ho

Reddin, Patrick, Cullagh

Salmon, Edw., Ballymacegan

Sherlock, John, Curraghduff

Walshe, Michael, Ballymacegan

Walshe, William, Ballymacegan

Wilson. James, Ballymacegan