Burncourt, Cahir - Book of County Tipperary, 1889

About “The Book of County Tipperary,” 1889

George Henry Bassett produced 7 Irish county directories in the 1880s: Antrim, Armagh, Down, Kilkenny, Louth, Tipperary and Wexford. Each provides useful history of the respective counties as well as lists of office holders, farmers, traders, and other residents of the individual cities, towns and villages.

Read more »

The directories are naturally an invaluable resource for those tracing family history. The Book of County Tipperary is the first of these to be made available on libraryireland.com, with its own search page. However, there are a few points to bear in mind.

  1. This online version is designed primarily as a genealogical research tool and therefore the numerous advertisements in the original book, many full page, and quite a few illustrated, have been excluded.
  2. The text has been proofed with due care, but with large bodies of text typographical errors are inevitably bound to occur.
  3. Be aware that there were often inconsistencies in spelling surnames in the 19th century and also that many forenames are abbreviated in Bassett’s directories.

With respect to the last point, surnames which today begin with the “Mc” prefix, for example, were often formerly spelt as “M‘,”. For a list of some of the more common forename abbreviations used in the directory, see Forename Abbreviations.

To enjoy the rich variety of advertisements, confirm accuracy of the entries, or have a printed record of a family member, obtain an original or facsimile copy of The Book of County Tipperary.

Show less

Burncourt, in the barony of Iffa and Offa, west, parish of Shanrahan, is a village of eighteen houses, 7 miles, Irish, south-west of Cahir, the nearest railway station. Burncourt is within an Irish mile of the Templetenny (Mitchelstown) caves, Shanbally Castle, residence of Lord Lismore, is in the parish of Shanrahan. One of the finest of the old castellated mansions, erected by a Baron of Ikerrin, continued in good condition until 1650, when it resisted the advance of a portion of Cromwell’s Army, and was taken by storm. The ruins are still extensive and most interesting. The land of the district of Burncourt is good for pasture and tillage.

Grocers: Mrs. Mt. Donohue, Jerh. Fox, Mrs. M. Galvin, Thos. Geary, Miss B. Lonergan

Post M.: Kate Carman

School, Nl.: Ml. Duggan, Mrs. C. Duggan

Spirit Retailers: Miss K. Galvin, Thos. Geary


Butler, James, Ballyshurue

Casey, John, Glengara

Casey, Mrs., Ballyrue

Cashin, Denis, Burncourt Castle

Conway, Mrs., Toormore

Corbett, John, Burncourt

Dunlay, Patrick, Toorbeg

English, Daniel, Coolantallagh

English, James, Toormore

Fogarty, William, Inchnamuck

Fox, Edmond, Kilavinoge

M‘Grath, Denis, Coolantallagh

Mulcahy, Mrs., Ballysheehan

Riordan, Mrs., Ballyshurue

Ryan, John, Shanbally

Sullivan, David, Toormore