Ballymackey, Nenagh - Book of County Tipperary, 1889

About “The Book of County Tipperary,” 1889

George Henry Bassett produced 7 Irish county directories in the 1880s: Antrim, Armagh, Down, Kilkenny, Louth, Tipperary and Wexford. Each provides useful history of the respective counties as well as lists of office holders, farmers, traders, and other residents of the individual cities, towns and villages.

Read more »

The directories are naturally an invaluable resource for those tracing family history. The Book of County Tipperary is the first of these to be made available on, with its own search page. However, there are a few points to bear in mind.

  1. This online version is designed primarily as a genealogical research tool and therefore the numerous advertisements in the original book, many full page, and quite a few illustrated, have been excluded.
  2. The text has been proofed with due care, but with large bodies of text typographical errors are inevitably bound to occur.
  3. Be aware that there were often inconsistencies in spelling surnames in the 19th century and also that many forenames are abbreviated in Bassett’s directories.

With respect to the last point, surnames which today begin with the “Mc” prefix, for example, were often formerly spelt as “M‘,”. For a list of some of the more common forename abbreviations used in the directory, see Forename Abbreviations.

To enjoy the rich variety of advertisements, confirm accuracy of the entries, or have a printed record of a family member, obtain an original or facsimile copy of The Book of County Tipperary.

Show less

Ballymackey, in the parish of same name, barony of Upper Ormond, is a village of six houses, and a Protestant Church, 4 miles, Irish, north-east of Nenagh. The land of the district is good for pasture and tillage. There is a considerable acreage under bog in the parish. The old castles include Willington, Cappagh, and Ballymackey.

Catholic Parish of Toomevara

Church of Id.: Rev. F. B.Costello

Grocers: Jas. Brewer, Jos. Lewis

Post M.: Jos. Lewis

R.I.C.: Sergt. Wallace

School, Nl.: Miss S. Neely


Bayly, Henry, Donnybrook

Brien, John, Norwood

Bunbury, Capt. G. W., Woodville

Butler, James. Hermitage

Butler, Col. Webb, Hermitage

Cahill, Martin, Ballagh

Carthy, Thomas, Kilgorten

Coffey, Patrick, Derrybane

Gleeson, Ml., Kilconane

Gleeson, Thos., Ballymackey

Hanlon, Thomas, Rathfalla

Harty, Michael, Lisnamoe

Hayes, John, Ballintotty

Heard, Col., Cappacastle

Hill, Thomas, Ummera

Hodgins, Hy., New Orchard

Hodgins, Rd., Ballymackey

Hodgins, Wm. P., Ballinree

Hogan, Patrick, Tooreagh

Kennedy, Hugh, Lisnamoe

Kennedy, James, Lisnamoe

King, Denis, Killowney

Lalor, Mrs., Ballinalick

McGrath, Mrs. C., Clonmore

McGrath, Ml., Knockinglass

McGrath, Pk., Racket Hall

Meara, James, Knockinglass

Moran, Daniel, Ballinree

Mounsey, John, Clashnevin

O’Brien, Kennedy, Clashnevin

O’Brien, J., Knocknahumma

Ronaldson, T. R., Mt. Pleasant

Rourke, Thos., Falleen

Ryan, John, Clashnevin

Ryan, Ml., Ballynockane

Smithwick, John (J.P.), Shanbally

Stanley, Mrs. S., Riverlawn

Gleeson, John, Rathfalla

Stoney, T. J., Ballyknockane

White, —, Lissanisky

Willington, J. W., C’willington