Sligo Abbey

From The Illustrated Dublin Journal, Volume 1, Number 28, March 15, 1862

SLIGO Abbey is an object well deserving of the notice of the antiquary. It was originally erected, according to Ware, by Maurice Fitzgerald, Lord Justice, about the year 1252. In 1414 is was destroyed by fire, but very shortly afterwards re-erected in the present style of architecture. It is a pictur-esque ruin of very large dimensions, divided into several apartments. The first has a beautiful window of carved stone, under which is the altar, likewise of cut stone. Here are two ancient monuments--one bearing date 1616, and the other belonging to one of the O'Connor kings; the latter is in good preservation.