WATERFORD TOWNS

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

The county comprises the whole of the diocese of Waterford and the greater part of that of Lismore, in the province of Cashel. For civil purposes it is divided into the baronies of Coshbride and Coshmore, Decies-without-Drum, Decies-within-Drum, Gaultier, Glenahiery, Middlethird, and Upperthird. Exclusively of the city of Waterford, which forms a county of itself, it contains the borough, market, and sea-port town of Dungarvan; the sea-port, market and post-town of Dunmore; the sea-port and market-town of Tramore, and the sea-port town of Passage East, each of which has a penny post; the market and post-towns of Lismore and Tallow, formerly parliamentary boroughs; the post towns of Cappoquin, Clashmore, Portlaw, and Kilmacthomas; and the maritime village of Bonmahon, which has a penny post.

It sent eight representatives to the Irish parliament, two for the county, and two for each of the boroughs of Dungarvan, Lismore, and Tallow; but since the Union its only representatives in the Imperial parliament have been two for the county and one for the borough of Dungarvan: the county members are elected at Waterford. The county constituency, up to Jan. 1st, 1837, consisted of 261 freeholders of £50, 170 of £20, and 926 of £10; and 13 leaseholders of £20, and 140 of £10; making a total of 1510 registered electors.

The county is included in the Leinster circuit: the assizes and four general sessions of the peace are held at Waterford, in which city the court-house, county prison, and house of correction are situated; but efforts are now being made to transfer the assizes and sessions to Dungarvan, where it is in contemplation to build a county courthouse and prison, pursuant to a resolution of the Grand Jury at the summer assize of 1836. General sessions of the peace are also held twice in the year at Dungarvan and twice at Lismore. The local government is vested in a lieutenant, 20 deputy-lieutenants, and 49 other magistrates. The number of constabulary police stations is 33, having unitedly a force of 5 officers, 20 constables, 112 men, and 6 horses. The district lunatic asylum, which is confined to the county and city, is in the city of Waterford: there are fever hospitals at Waterford, Dungarvan, Lismore, and Tallow; and dispensaries at Cappoquin, Clashmore, Dunmore, Kilmacthomas, Kilbarrymeaden, Tramore, Dungarvan, Tallow, Lismore, Ballyduff, Bonmahon, and Drumcannon, supported by Grand Jury presentments and private subscriptions in equal proportions.

The Grand Jury presentments for 1835 amounted to £23,806. 15. 10.; of which £6794. 0. 1. was for roads, bridges, &c., for the county at large; £3499. 0. 1 ½. for roads and bridges, &c., being the baronial charge; £7171. 8. 7 ¼ for public buildings, charities, officers' salaries, and incidents; £2696. 4. 5. for the police; and £3646. 2. 7 ¼. for repayment of advances made by Government. In military arrangements the county is in the southern district, and within its limits are barracks for infantry at Ballinamult and Dungarvan, capable of accommodating 13 officers and 247 men.

« Waterford | Index | Waterford Topography »

County Waterford | Waterford Towns and Baronies | Waterford Topography | Waterford Agriculture | Waterford Geology | Waterford Manufacturing | Waterford Rivers | Waterford Antiquities | Waterford City


Library Ireland Facebook