WALLSTOWN

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

WALLSTOWN, a parish, in the barony of FERMOY, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 2 ½ miles (E. S. E.) from Doneraile, on the road to Castletown-Roche; containing 1021 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the river Awbeg, by which it is partly intersected, and comprises 3054 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £2679 per ann.; the land is of medium quality, and chiefly in tillage, and the state of agriculture is much improved; limestone abounds and is used both for building and agricultural purposes. Fairs are held at Drumdeer on July 12th and Aug. 12th for cattle and pigs: at, the village of Dunavalla is a mill for grinding oats. The river Awbeg winds very beautifully through this district and is famous for its fine trout.

The gentlemen's seats are Ballywalter, the residence of R. Welsted, Esq.; Landscape, of James Hammond, Esq.; the Glebe, of the Rev. John Gavan; and Wallstown, of T. Baily, Esq.

The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Cloyne, united to the particle of Ballygregan (a townland now considered to form part of the parish of Wallstown), and in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £416, and the glebe comprises 16 statute acres. The glebe-house is a commodious and well-built mansion, erected in 1829 at an expense of £1100, of which the late Board of First Fruits gave £200 and lent £600, on condition of its being used for the performance of divine service until a parish church could be erected, and it is accordingly used for that purpose.

In the R. C. divisions the parish is in the union or district of Monanimy, or Kealavullen. The ruins of the church still exist; immediately adjoining is the ancient castle of Wallstown, which originally belonged to the family of Wall, and was granted by Cromwell to one of his soldiers of the name of Ruddock.

« Virginia | Index | Walterstown »


Library Ireland Facebook