VILLIERSTOWN

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

VILLIERSTOWN, a chapelry, in the parish of AGLISH, barony of DECIES-within-DRUM, county of WATERFORD, and province of MUNSTER, 7 miles (N. W. by W.) from Dungarvan, on the road from Clashmore to Cappoquin; containing 263 inhabitants. This is a remarkably neat village, beautifully situated near the river Blackwater and close to the demesne of Dromana, comprising 41 houses. It is a constabulary police station, and petty sessions are held once a fortnight. Fairs are held on June 5th and Sept. 4th. The chapelry is a donative, in the gift of H. Villiers Stuart, Esq., originally endowed by John, Earl of Grandison. The church is a small building; within a short distance is a house and garden, the residence of the chaplain, whose stipend is £54, and he has also 25 acres of land.

« Villaraide | Index | Virginia »


Library Ireland Facebook