From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837
TEMPLEMICHAEL-DE-DUAGH, a parish, in the barony of KINNALEA, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 2 ½ miles (E.) from Innishannon, on the road from Cork to Kinsale; containing 764 inhabitants. This parish comprises 2128 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £1640 per annum. The land is generally very good, the soil deep, and based upon a substratum of clay slate; agriculture is rapidly improving under the spirited exertions of some of the resident gentry; the chief manure is sea-sand, brought up the Bandon river and landed at the quays near Innishannon: about one-half of the land is under tillage, producing crops of corn and potatoes, the remainder being pasture, except about 20 acres of valuable bog. There are several handsome houses: the principal are Coolcullitagh, the residence of R. Jefford, Esq.; Farthingstown, of J. Haines, Esq.; Hawthorn Hill, of J. Godwin, Esq.; and the glebe-house, of the Rev. W. R. Meade.
The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Cork, and in the patronage of the Bishop; the tithes amount to £245. 10. 9 ½. The glebe-house was built by aid of a gift of £300 and a loan of £500, in 1816, from the late Board of First Fruits; the glebe comprises 6 acres. The church is a small handsome edifice, in the early English style, built in 1809 by aid of a gift of £600 from the same Board.
In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union of Ballynabog. The parochial school adjoins the church, and is supported by the rector, who also provides a house rent-free for the master; about 40 children are educated in it.