From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837
TEMPLEMICHAEL, a parish, partly in the barony of LONGFORD, but chiefly in that of ARDAGH, county of LONGFORD, and province of LEINSTER, on the main road from Dublin to Sligo, and on the river Camlin; containing (with the town of Longford), 8319 inhabitants. This parish comprises 7925 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and is principally under tillage, though there is a great quantity of bog. Here are quarries of the best description of limestone. Great facilities for the transport of provisions and merchandise are provided by the Royal Canal, which at present ends here.
The seats are Clonbalt, the property of the Earl of Belmore, though now occupied by — Armstrong, Esq.; and Carrickglass, of the Rt. Hon. T. Lefroy, LL.D.
The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Ardagh, united by episcopal authority to the rectory of Ballymacormick, and part of the vicarage of Killoe, denominated Upper Killoe, and in the patronage of the Bishop.
The tithes amount to £369. 4. 8.; and the gross value of the benefice, tithes and glebe inclusive, is £1170. 3. The Commissioners of Ecclesiastical Inquiry recommend that this union be entirely dissolved on the next avoidance, and that each parish may form a separate living. The glebe-house is beautifully situated about half a mile from the church, and near the river Camlin, which flows through the demesne; it was built in 1760, and for its improvement various sums were expended between 1763 and 1795, amounting altogether to £2314. There are two glebes in the parish, one of 108 acres, on which the glebe is situated, the other of 35 acres at Lisserdowling; also a glebe of 34 ¼ acres in the parish of Ballymacormick, and one of 79 ¼ acres in that of Killoe, the latter of which is subject to a quit-rent of £2. 16. 6.: the total value of the glebes of the union is £491. 8. 4. per annum. The church at Longford is a spacious edifice, with a tower and spire; it was repaired and enlarged in 1812, at a cost of £3221 British, being a loan from the late Board of First Fruits; and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have lately granted £249 for its further repair: there are also churches in each of the other parishes of the union.
In the R. C. divisions the parish is in the union or district of Longford, comprising this parish and that of Ballymacormick, and containing two chapels, one in the town of Longford, and the other at Strand in Ballymacormick. In Longford are two chapels for Wesleyan Methodists and Presbyterians. The parochial female school is under the patronage of the Countess of Longford; in Longford is a school on Erasmus Smith's foundation; a school at Carrickglass is supported by Miss Lefroy; at Longford and Cooleney are national schools; and an infants' and another school are aided by subscriptions. There is also a large Sunday school, held in the church. The County Infirmary, near the town, has 28 beds, besides a very large attendance of extern patients, who are provided with advice and medicine. There is a bequest for the poor, called the "Charleton Money." In the townland of Lisserdowling is a moat which is supposed to form the central spot of Ireland. Near the town is a chalybeate spa; and on the glebe of Templemichael are the ruins of an old church.