From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837
TEMPLEMARTIN, or ST. MARTIN, a parish, in the barony of GOWRAN, county of KILKENNY, and province of LEINSTER, 2 ¼ miles (E.) from Kilkenny, on the road to Dublin; containing 17 inhabitants, and comprising 747 statute acres. It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, entirely appropriate to the vicars choral of the cathedral of St. Canice, Kilkenny; the tithes amount to £77. 6. 8.
In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of St. Canice.