From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

TEMPLEBODANE, or DRONMOYNE, a parish, in the barony of BARRYMORE, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 5 ½ miles (S. E.) from Rathcormac, on the road from Midleton to Fermoy; containing 1337 inhabitants. This parish comprises 4685 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £2340 per ann.: there are 3037 acres of arable and pasture land, 80 of woodland, and 56 of bog, the remainder being mountain and waste. In the hamlet of Ballinacurrig is a police station. Cadogan, the elegant residence of Dennis O'Callaghan, Esq., is situated in grounds carefully laid out; the rhododendron, planted in clusters in its native soil, flourishes in great luxuriance and beauty, and in the lower grounds is an arbor vitae of great size, also some laurels of large growth. Dunlarick, the seat of J. Barry, Esq., stands in a demesne embellished with extensive and thriving plantations, the whole of which was formerly waste land.

The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Cloyne, and in the patronage of the Bishop; the rectory is appropriate to the vicars choral of Christ-Church cathedral, Dublin. The tithes, amounting to £348. 7. 4 ¼., are equally divided between the vicars choral and the vicar: there is a glebe of 9 acres.

In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Lisgoold. Here is a pay school, in which are about 40 children. There are some slight remains of the castle of Rathgabbane.

« Templebeg | Index | Templeboy »