From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837
TEIGHSASSON, TY-SASSION, or TAXAX, also called TISASSON, a parish, in the barony of KINSALE, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 2 ½ miles (W. N. W.) from Kinsale, on the north side of the river Bandon; containing 535 inhabitants. This parish, the name of which signifies "the Englishman's House," comprises 1320 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act; the soil is extremely light, and, under a good system of cultivation and by the constant application of large quantities of sea sand brought hither from the bay of Kinsale and landed at the small quays in the parish made for that purpose, produces good crops: the land is deemed valuable in consequence of its proximity to Kinsale and the facilities for procuring manure.
The principal seats are Teighsasson House, the residence of J. Cummins, Esq.; Ballywilliam, of B. Barter, Esq.; Hollyhill, of C. Newman, Esq.; Ballinvolig, of Mrs. Collis; and Ballinacurra House, of J. Bleazby, Esq.
The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Cork, and in the patronage of the Crown: the tithes amount to £105.
In the R. C. divisions the parish is part of the union of Kinsale. A small creek, which separates this parish from that of Clontead, penetrates a considerable distance into the land: on its southern bank are the ruins of the ancient church; and not far distant are those of White castle, which was built by the Roches in 1497, to command the landing-place, and gives name to the creek and the small village adjoining.