From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837
TAUGHBOYNE, or ARTAGH, also called TIBOHINE, a parish, in the barony of BOYLE, county of ROSCOMMON, and province of CONNAUGHT, on the river Gara (also called Lung), and on the road from Boyle to Ballaghadireen and the great new western road to Ballina; containing, with the market and post-town of French-Park, and the village of Lough Glynn (both of which are separately described), 6336 inhabitants. According to Archdall, a religious establishment existed here, of which St. Baithen was Bishop in 640; the same writer also says that here was a celebrated school.
The parish comprises 20,606 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act; it consists for the most part of isolated hills and ridges bounded by bogs, forming altogether a wild tract, one-half bog and the other inferior land, under an unimproved system of agriculture. The river Lung rises in the parish, as does a branch of the river Suck. To the north-east of Lough-Glynn rises the high sandstone hill of Fairy Mount; and two miles west of the village are some turloughs presenting a considerable extent of water in winter, but dry in summer, of which Feigh is the principal, containing 200 acres and celebrated for the numbers of wild fowls that resort thither. The river Lung runs underground for about a mile in this vicinity. The manufacture of felt hats is carried on here. A manor court is held monthly in the parish, and petty sessions and fairs are held at French-Park; there are also fairs at Lough-Glynn.
Lough-Glynn, with its lake and fine hanging woods, is the seat of Viscount Dillon; it is a large massive building, with angular bay windows, and has a noble appearance, from its situation on the northern bank of the lake, which is about an Irish mile long, having smooth green banks sloping to the water's edge, or overspread with trees, and a wooded island; on the opposite side of the lake are two ash trees of remarkable growth. About five miles west is Lough Erritt, the highly improved seat of Fitzstephen French, Esq., beautifully situated in an extensively planted demesne at the head of a lake of the same name, which covers upwards of 360 statute acres, and contains very fine fish. Cahan is the seat of C. French, Esq.; and near French-Park are Cloonshanville, the seat of J. Davis, Esq.; and Mullen, occupied by Lynch Plunkett, Esq.
The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Elphin, being the corps of the prebend of Artagh or Taughboyne, in the patronage of the Bishop; the tithes amount to £347. 1. 6 ½. The glebe-house was erected in 1819, by a gift of £400 and a loan of £340 from the late Board of First Fruits; the glebe comprises 21 ½ acres, subject to a rent of £29.15. 4. and of the same value. The church is an ancient building, remarkable for its vaulted roof; the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have recently granted £240 for its repair. There is a chapel of ease at Lough-Glynn.
The R. C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church, and contains three chapels, at French-Park, Taughboyne, and Lough-Glynn. The school-house of the parochial free school, and 4 acres of land, were given by A. French, Esq.; and two day schools are supported by Lord Dillon; in these schools about 400 children are taught. There are also eleven private schools, in which about 500 boys and 200 girls are educated. There are dispensaries at French-Park and Lough-Glynn. Among the woods on the southern side of Lough-Glynn are remains of the old castle of that name, said to have been founded by one of the Fitzgeralds of Mayo, once a building of considerable extent and strength, defended at each angle by a tower, of which, in later times, one was used as a temporary prison. Near Lord Dillon's deer-park is a strong circular fortification on the summit of a round hill.