TANKARDSTOWN

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

TANKARDSTOWN, a parish, partly in the barony of BALLYADAMS, QUEEN'S county, and partly in that of KILKEA and MOONE, county of KILDARE, and province of LEINSTER, 3 miles (S.) from Athy, on the road to Carlow; containing 1918 inhabitants. It is situated on the river Barrow, and comprises 8938 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £4056 per ann.: within its limits are some quarries of limestone. The state of agriculture is progressively improving, and the Barrow navigation affords great facility for the conveyance of its produce to Waterford.

The seats are Kilmoroney, the improved and handsome residence of the Very Rev. Dean Trench; Farm Hill, of George Evans, Esq.; and Leinster Lodge, of J. Perrin, Esq. The parish is in the diocese of Dublin, and is a rectory and vicarage, forming part of the union of Athy: the tithes amount to £325. 19. 4.

In the R. C. divisions also it is part of the union of Athy. About 120 children are educated in a school under the National Board; and there is a private school, in which are about 30 children. On the margin of the Barrow is a Danish rath.

« Tankardstown (Limerick) | Index | Taragh »


Library Ireland Facebook