From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837
TAGHMON, a parish, in the barony of CORKAREE, county of WESTMEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 5 ¾ miles (N. N. E.) from Mullingar, on the road to Castle-Pollard, and on Lough Dereveragh; containing 922 inhabitants. It comprises 3213 statute acres, chiefly under tillage, as applotted under the tithe act; about 60 are called the Crooked Wood, and 60 are bog. Here are quarries of black limestone. At Foxborough, in a recess of the lake, is the residence of Mrs. Nugent.
The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Meath, united to the vicarage of Stonehall and the rectory of Multifarnham, and in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £153. 16. 7., and the gross value of the benefice is £396. 4. 11 ½. The glebe-house was built in 1813, at an expense of £892 British, of which £400 was a gift and £300 a loan from the late Board of First Fruits. The glebe comprises 40 acres of profitable land, valued at £60 per ann.; there is also a glebe of 12 acres in Multifarnham. The church is an ancient building in the Gothic style, in decent repair.
In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Turin, or Rathconnell, and has a chapel at Monktown. There are two private schools, in which about 120 children are educated. On a hill in the parish the insurgents, in 1798, had an encampment. There are several raths, most of which have a double trench.