SKIRTS

From A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837

SKIRTS, or SKIRTS of URNEY, also called DERG, a parish, in the barony of OMAGH, county of TYRONE, and province of ULSTER, 8 miles (W.) from Newtown-Stewart, on the river Derg; containing, with the post-town of Castlederg, 3113 inhabitants. This parish, which in the ecclesiastical divisions is generally known as Derg, Derg-bridge, or Castlederg, was formerly considered to be included in the parishes of Urney and Ardstraw, but in 1812 the portion of the latter parish was claimed by its rector, and since that period the parish has been called the Skirts of Urney. It comprises 17 townlands, containing (together with the portion of Ardstraw before mentioned), according to the Ordnance survey, 14,286 statute acres. Petty sessions are held every second, and a court for the manor of Hastings every third, Saturday, at Castlederg, where also are held a monthly court for the manor of Ardstraw and a monthly fair.

The living is a perpetual cure, in the diocese of Derry, and in the patronage of the Rector of Urney: the tithes of the 17 townlands, over which the cure extends, amount to £258. 9. 3. The glebe-house is a neat building, erected in 1795, at an expense of £200, of which £150 was a gift from the late Board of First Fruits; and there is a glebe of 30 Cunningham acres. The church is situated at Castlederg, which see. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Urney: the chapel is at Castlederg; and there is a place of worship for Presbyterians in connection with the Seceding Synod. About 270 children are educated in the national schools at Castlederg, Ganvaghan, Kilclean, and Mount Bernard, of which the first and last are patronised by Sir R. Ferguson, Bart.: there are also three private schools, in which are about 130 children; and three Sunday schools.

« Skibbereen | Index | Skorman »


Library Ireland Facebook